Our mission

DIY glass rimless build

Nice job Ian, really is a pain (pane?:D) to do tanks like that as you want to get all the silicone down and glass up before it sets up, I can't imagine doing a large tank unless you're a master of the caulk gun.

So where did you end up getting the glass?

Wow very nice!

Just from the pics alone it looks like your friend was either txt'ing or watching :lol: (I'm sure he did a lot of work but the pics don't tell that story)

Mike, Craig who used to be a member here helped me get the glass. I had a pneumatic caulk gun so that make the caulking part a lot easier.

Thanks Gresh, yeah my friend did help out a lot at times but was a bit preoccupied texting at others.

Thanks Ed. haha. I have the materials you can build it yourself. haha

iani said:
knucklehead is who I am talking about.

Yeah, I've spoken with him a couples times re: glass. I was just concerned he had moved on from BAR and wondered why :)

oh that's right, he works at the glass shop!

I did speak with him a couple times regarding glass. I remember he built his tank then sold it shortly after.

GreshamH said:
iani said:
knucklehead is who I am talking about.

Yeah, I've spoken with him a couples times re: glass. I was just concerned he had moved on from BAR and wondered why :)

Maybe it has something to do with his coral biz thing??

Mike, I have his tank. I bought that tank.

no idea what you're talking about Phong :) Coral biz? What's that name?

Ian, so the silicon you used is more than OK to use? I read somewhere here that there's a difference between the silicon sealer and adhesive, maybe someone can chime in?
I want to see your OF box; Anthony (A_Lee) sold his cube, but it had a nice DIY external overflow, I might want to try it on a cube I have collecting dust.

Yes, it is the right silicone to use. The recommended silicone is either rtv108 or rtv103. rtv108 is clear and rtv103 is black.

yeah, the stuff you buy in home depot, GE Silicone, that's more of a sealer than an adhesive, the stuff Ian used, is specifically made to be an adhesive. Good stuff!

Very inspirational. Now I want to put together the dis-assembled glass tank a got from Dyngoe.

Can you tell me where you got the following:

1) pneumatic caulking gun
2) rtv108
3) them fancy suction cups

1) I got on amazon, you must have a compressor to use it.
2) I got the silicone from grainger, they have the rtv108 in stock but you have to special order the rtv103.
3) I got them from toolocity.com they were 60 dollars a piece.

Back