Jestersix

Does anyone have any Sun Coral or know of any stores that do?

I’m looking for some info on them and possibly a frag. I have only seen pictures and never seen them in a store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking for some info on them and possibly a frag. I have only seen pictures and never seen them in a store?

They're actually pretty common in most of the larger stores. Small to medium colonies are reasonably priced too. AC almost always has them when I've been in.

Neptune has some dendros. Place them in a low light area of your tank and feed twice a week with frozen.

Sun Corals (Tubastrea sp.) and Dendrophyllia are different.

Sun Corals are nocturnal and open during lights out, can be trained to open during the day.

Being nocturnal, they are non photosynthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Suns are a lot cheaper too. :) As for info Vincent already noted that they are non-photosynthetic so they require regular feedings. I usually use Mysis shrimp or TDO pellets. If you want then to survive and just maintain you can feed them once a week. Each head separately. If you want them to grow into a larger colony you'll need to feed two or three times a week. They can be placed in locations other corals can't including on the underside or insides of caves, etc. As long as you can feed. I have always found they do better if the colony is placed vertically on the side of rocks where they get a decent flow bring food to them.

Yes I am looking for the true non-photosynthetic Sun Coral. Where is AC? I don’t think I have been there.

Suns are a lot cheaper too. :) As for info Vincent already noted that they are non-photosynthetic so they require regular feedings. I usually use Mysis shrimp or TDO pellets. If you want then to survive and just maintain you can feed them once a week. Each head separately. If you want them to grow into a larger colony you'll need to feed two or three times a week. They can be placed in locations other corals can't including on the underside or insides of caves, etc. As long as you can feed. I have always found they do better if the colony is placed vertically on the side of rocks where they get a decent flow bring food to them.

Thank you! That is one of the reasons I was originally drawn to them, besides the fact they are beautiful! I have the perfect spot on the side of a “cave” opening with plenty of flow and easy feeding access.

Back