Neptune Aquatics

Dosing chemiclean and prazipro at the same time?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
My fish had flukes last week and I dosed some prazipro. I'm experiencing an outbreak of cyano in my sump (growing over my chaeto right now). I was just curious whether dosing both chemiclean and prazipro at the same time would be a concern, since I know both of them cause the skimmer to go nuts. Leaning towards erring on the side of caution but just curious.

Last edited:
Per https://chemi-pure.com/products/chemiclean/

> Aquarium oxygen levels must be increased using heavy aeration or a large air stone.

That's the same gotcha with Prazipro. I'd personally be leery of running both, possibly compounding the issue affecting fish who might also be having their own oxygen issues (gill flukes). I definitely wouldn't run both and turn off my skimmer. If you try it I'd likely keep the skimmer on and remove the cup so it just boils over.

They are both antibiotics. I don't really see an issue, and would do my normal procedure of wet skimming to remove what bad water I could. And turning off the carbon for 2 days.

Per https://chemi-pure.com/products/chemiclean/

> Aquarium oxygen levels must be increased using heavy aeration or a large air stone.

That's the same gotcha with Prazipro. I'd personally be leery of running both, possibly compounding the issue affecting fish who might also be having their own oxygen issues (gill flukes). I definitely wouldn't run both and turn off my skimmer. If you try it I'd likely keep the skimmer on and remove the cup so it just boils over.
Yeah, this was my major concern re: oxygen depletion. I'm less concerned about it being an issue since I do run it with the skimmer cup off, but didn't know if that'd be enough to offset the potential for increased oxygen demand.

Why not just turn off your fuge light for a few days instead of chemiclean?
I didn't think that'd be a long enough blackout to do more than temporarily reduce the cyano, and - since I'd like to dose Prazipro with the subsequent large WC/wet skimming - I thought it'd be a good opportunity if the two meds were compatible.

Since the cyano is mostly on your chaeto I’d just manually remove it over and over until it doesn’t come back. Not as much effort as it sounds like.

Back