High Tide Aquatics

Dual (Triple) MP40 settings recommendations

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
Hi there, I would be interested to hear what you guys are using for MP40 settings with dual / tri / quad setup of these pumps.I recognize this depends on your tanks specific, SPS dominant, mixed reef etc. I would be more interested in a mixed reef setup, but SPS dominant settings are interesting too.

I had a problem with one of newly purchased wet sides in feed mode only, and had to break in a new wet side over the past two weeks, and it is now ready for full action.

I am using now the following:
  • Two MP40s (planning to purchase a third for additional flow).
  • Full cover wide flow anemone guard from Etsy for both (will probably reduce flow to some extent but I like that it covered in the front too (not like the BRS version).
  • I run 12 hours a blend of reefcrest and nutrient transport, then 12 hours lagoon at night. I believe there is a night mode in some of the settings but could not find it yet.
  • I run them in antisync mode
  • I heard from someone that running less flow at night is not necessarily best practice, not sure what are your thoughts.

IMG_1409.jpeg
IMG_1410.jpeg

Not sure why? I never did it. Does the ocean work that way?
In a lot of places it does calm down at night because of less wind on the surface, pretty sure, yes. Not sure about reefs or all reefs.

Another good argument is that fish have more options to find calm water at night in the ocean, and not so much in our tanks - so turning the flow down gives them a little bit of a break when they sleep.

Not saying I agree with either of these theories, but both seem fairly plausible to me which is why I asked.

In a lot of places it does calm down at night because of less wind on the surface, pretty sure, yes. Not sure about reefs or all reefs.

Another good argument is that fish have more options to find calm water at night in the ocean, and not so much in our tanks - so turning the flow down gives them a little bit of a break when they sleep.

Not saying I agree with either of these theories, but both seem fairly plausible to me which is why I asked.
I never saw a reason and always left the pumps going at the same speed night and day. Fish didn’t seem to have a problem since they had places to hide.
The thing that made the most sense to me that anyone has talked about before was @Thales talking about trying to mimic having two high and two low tides a day where water would be going mostly one direction for when it’s coming in and mostly the other when it’s going out with periods of higher flow when tides are changing and lower flow correlating to the in between times (I think). That was/is too complicated for me to replicate with just vortechs on the back wall and no external control of them tho.

Back