Cali Kid Corals

Durso overflow question

HeBhxwC.png

I can see the pic, I’m going to show you my approach that silenced my drain later when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

okay first, ill remove the ball valve off the bottom.

for awhile it was gurgling making lots of noise, the water in the over flow would sink down till it caught air and than fill back up and repeat.

in the sump part it is making a lot of splashing and i dont want to get any water on the eletronics. so i had a towel over that compartment for awhile. (currently everything off except when im near it to monitor)

i can take a video when i get home and post it.
seems posting picture from computer was better success than phone / tapa talk

I had a durso and I couldn’t make it completely silent. You have to be careful putting a valve on the drain because, as you’ve discovered, you have no emergency drain. You could make an emergency standpipe by converting the drilled return hole, but then you would have to find a different way to return (either HOB or drill a new bulkhead).

You can make a durso quieter by adjusting the flow through the pipe (turn up and down your DC pump), adjusting the height of the durso pipe relative to the weirs, adjusting the size of the air valve, and adjusting the height the water falls into the sump. Consider adding a U to the drain pipe just under the sump so the water doesn’t fall as far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't understand why there is a valve if there is only one drain?
Yeah can't emphasize this enough.

If you have one drain, I would never try to restrict the flow with no emergency drain. Looking at your picture though what *I* would do, is remove that return pipe from inside the overflow box, and make that my emergency drain then just pull the return over the edge instead.

interesting, never looked into that!.

so change the return pipe into a second drain. and make another tube do over the edge. would you guys suggest hard pvc piping, or the flexiable stuff? (im currently using flexable stuff)

ill try googling what this would look like. is it quieter? safer?

You can make it quiet that way, as well as handle more flow. Ideally you'd have 3 holes to be safe, but 2 can work ok. You'll want the gate valve not ball valve, and put it on the smaller of the two bulkheads if they are not the same size. Google herbie and bean animal drain setups. @Bruce Spiegelman has the bean animal.

It'll be both quieter and safer. Just look up herbie overflow.

The 3 drain is a bean animal. Here's mine using the Synergy Shadow overflow box.
2018_03_30_plumbingwomanifold.jpg

Your returns would basically be be plumbed over the lip of the back wall. You'll have to use hard pvc to give it the rigidity along with some hangers for safe measures.

interesting, never looked into that!.

so change the return pipe into a second drain. and make another tube do over the edge. would you guys suggest hard pvc piping, or the flexiable stuff? (im currently using flexable stuff)

ill try googling what this would look like. is it quieter? safer?

For the return over the edge, definitely do hard PVC, if anything just for the over the edge stuff, you could do flexible to the lip then throw in a couple street ells to get over the edge, just make sure the connection between flexible and solid is secure so there's no leaking PVC glue does work with "spa flex" pipe if that's the flexible stuff you're using don't think it works with the clear tubing though. But either way no way you're getting flexible stuff over the edge without kinking your tube.

As for quieter/safer, yes.

One method that I did was you make the smaller of the two pipes lower in your box, put a gate valve on that one, restrict it a bit such that the water level rises high enough over the pipe so you get no air being pulled down, the idea is the rising height increases the pressure hence the velocity of water through the pipe and you reach a "sweet spot" it does require a bit of fine tuning though. The other pipe is your emergency, and at most water will trickle over in it, sometimes it's quiet enough sometimes it's loud. But either way definitely doable with just 2 pipes to have the safety factor in there and quiet. The downside is that over time your return pump might change slightly due to crud, calcification, older so slower, and that "sweet spot" will no longer be there, so might have to readjust.

Okay! At ace getting pvc to build a return over the edge!

When I get this stuff figured out I’ll make a journal with photos of my mess.

So, made a return over the side with pvc. Did that idea with one of the over flow pipes lower and the other higher (emergency)

Made it real quiet! But ace and Home Depot didn’t have the right size gate valve. So using ball valve. I see now why gate valve is suggested. Ball is hard to do small adjustments.

So here’s my new issue!
With the return over the edge of the tank, when I turn the pump off it starts a siphon and almost over filled the sump. So what I ended up doing was taking the return nozzle out of the water so the siphon doesn’t happen. Do you guys have a suggestion to prevent this? I am afraid of like a power outage and flooding my room.

I don't know....over the back returns scare me, plus i don't think they look very good. Make sure you secure that thing down. I for one would "Drill Baby, Drill."

Back