Reef nutrition

earthquake straps on tank...

Hi guys, I've been busy with kids lately so I haven't been on the boards for a while!

So Wifey and I decide that for Christmas we'll finally replace the ancient CRT TV that we have with a nice 46" Sony Bravia! I bought (and assembled) a TV stand from Best Buy since there is no really good place to mount a TV on the wall in my house. This thing is fricken huge! Anyway, the manual (and common sense) indicated that the TV should be attached to the stand and the wall to avoid tipping over in an earthquake. Also with two highly active two year olds running around, I don't want them squished by a falling TV! So I bought some "Quake Hold" brand TV straps which I used to strap the TV to the wall (from behind, it uses super strength adhesive). I am also planning to back that up using the VESA mounting holes and wire (as per the Sony online manual)... so that got me thinking about the other huge expensive thing in the house ...

Aaaaanyway. I did all this in a hurry right after last weeks earthquakes. I've been meaning to secure my tank better since its footprint is very nearly the same as the POS stand that it sits on. I've used Quake Hold straps in the past for my old TV and I think that, since they use adhesives for the appliance they are holding, they might make a very good hold down for the tank, even though the tank is filled with a heck of a lot of water.

So strapping the tank to the stand and then the stand to the wall is my plan. Maybe even strap the canopy down too, or to the wall.

Do you guys do anything at all ... just in case? I mean aside from having generators, etc, etc. For fishtank earthquake prep.

I know in an emergency, there are other things to think about other than the fishtank, but for that reason, it would be nice to have prepped the tank for just such a thing so you don't have to deal with it (hopefully) if a quake DID strike.

Vince

Hey Vince! I have a lip around my stand so the tank won't slide/walk during an earthquake. But I decided not to fasten the stand or tank to the wall. If an earthquake is big enough to move my 120g, I figure I'll take the loss of a tank, rather than lose a structural wall.

Bernie

If you fasten the stand to the wall the tank itself actually has a higher probability of dancing off the stand. Allowing the two to move as a unit is the preferred method, or at least that is what I have been told. I know my friends in 89 did not strap their stands and only lost water. Lips on stands are great :)

All of our stands are bolted to the floor, and every stand has very thick pieces of fiberglass that stick up about 1-2" around the bottom of the tank to keep it on the stand. So far so good...ask how we do after the next 7.0. ;)

Yeah, the lip part is the problem. My tank stand is a not great. I was thinking of retrofitting in a lip. The tank's dimensions are very close to the edge of the stand, but the top of the stand itself extends out a bit from the sides of the stand (ie; image the capital letter I and that's sort of what the stand is like, though a really really fat I).

I did buy some quake straps, but I needed some anyway for other things. I think I'll try and do the lip thing.

I'll reconsider strapping the tank to the wall. Though I might still somehow secure the canopy to the the tank or at least make it less devestating if it falls off or into the tank.

Thanks!

V

glass or acrylic tank?

Matt did you guys have to do that to meet some code?

GreshamH said:
glass or acrylic tank?

Matt did you guys have to do that to meet some code?

No idea...we just showed up one day and the tanks were in place on the stands (quite literally). I imagine it would have been designed in regardless of any building code just to be on the safe side.

Just as another example here is a tank at a restaurant in SF. 9' tall and 5' wide so the 6 vertical poles are held in place with steel cables. The idea is to hold the tanks in place in the event of a shaker. (And yes, it's a pain in the butt to clean those babies...)

2008_01_waterbarinside.jpg

That's my one extracurricular maintenance account. :)

The restaurant is called Waterbar. It's owned and designed by Pat Kuleto (cue oohs and ahhs from foodies), it's on the Embarcadero near the Hills Bros. Coffee building, or right next to the bow and arrow sculpture if you know where that is.

sid700 said:
Hey Vince! I have a lip around my stand so the tank won't slide/walk during an earthquake. But I decided not to fasten the stand or tank to the wall. If an earthquake is big enough to move my 120g, I figure I'll take the loss of a tank, rather than lose a structural wall.

Bernie

Bernie, that is a great idea. Do you have pics?

Vince, I don't think I would strap the tank or canopy - maybe the stand if the lip was burly enough. I think if you strapped the tank itself you risk is cracking in a shaker.

OK, sounds like the plan is now to ADD a lip to the stand to keep the tank from slipping off it in a quake, but not to strap anything to the wall The weight of the sump in the stand should help with anti-tipping.

I'll make sure the lip is burly!

Thanks for the tips, let's hope our theories aren't tested!

V

Back