Jestersix

Ecobak | Bio Pellets ?

I've been reading around various forums about these vodka pellets or bio pellets, etc... but I can't quite put it together into my head.

Does this replace both GFO and Carbon, or only GFO?

Also, these are supposed to last a pretty long time? 6 months to 1 1/2 years before requiring replacing?

GFO. Carbon is not used for nitrate or PO4 removal. IIRC GAC has a very limited capacity for removing nitrates, like little to none.

GFO is a proven method, but changing media out once or twice a year instead of once a month would be nice.

Also following the rice experiments, which would be really cool, and cheap.

I just bought another gallon of GFO, so hopefully after this batch, there will be more results for the other stuff.

I have EcoBak but I have not yet played with it. I know several of the Beta testers and all have only good things to say about it and it's effectiveness. FWIW they had it for like 6 months prior to the release so that would be like 9-10 months of use for them.

GreshamH said:
I have EcoBak but I have not yet played with it. I know several of the Beta testers and all have only good things to say about it and it's effectiveness. FWIW they had it for like 6 months prior to the release so that would be like 9-10 months of use for them.

Why is it a mystery if it works? Its scientifically proven, been used for waste water treatment. Am I missing something?

Edit:
Just found this article:
Biological denitrification of drinking water using newspaper
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V73-3Y0S4NF-37&_user=10&_coverDate=04%2F30%2F1996&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1414835337&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=6a85dbfd775740cd08836beea318c0d7

Who wants to try used newspapers?

Yes science says it works, but how does that explain all the reported cases of it not doing much that have been posted on the internet? I have seen this division between science and aquaria on numerous occasions.

Another thing to note is while it works for waste water treatment (FW) it very well may not be good in closed systems of which consist of very delicate animals that live in saltwater.

Right now, the amount to use for solid carbon dosing, and how exactly to use it in our applications, is up in the air.
There is apparently a way to 'recharge' GFO.

EcoBak has solid recommendations from the manufacturer on both amount and how to use it Rich.

His were arrived at via beta testing, much more then I can say for most other brands who found a source and pushed it out the door untested ;)

Back