Cali Kid Corals

Elos 70, CADLights 50 or...

I'm in the market for a new tank and have those two (Elos 70, and the Cadlights Artisan 50) eyeballed. Are there any other tanks out or soon to be out in this class/size that I should consider?

Maybe, but Robert and Cerissa are stocking Cadlights now and it may be cheaper to get it through Neptunes. How much does the Elos 70 cost?

Handy yes, but I don't want to build :)

CAD50 with tank, stand, light stand, sump, skimmer = 1,169.96 + $150 shipping *

Elos70 with tank, stand, sump, skimmer, ATO, return pump= $2650 + no shipping (well..maybe. we'll see if they can deliver it to me from the next city over since I can't fit it in my car :p)

I would consider getting the tank only with those two systems. Or maybe tank/stand and leave the other equipment out. The skimmers on both systems are not the best. Just ask Art about the elos skimmer.

thanks for the advice Ian :)

Jim, I already have lights covered. I have a 250MH pendant as well as an LED array which will accommodate either tank.

I have the whole Artisan system.
The lights are so-so, the stand is ok, the skimmer is small but good, return pump was 125w (had to replace), plumbing was ok, sump was ok.
Tank is DA BOMB!!!!
Find Artisan one tank only or with stand.

That's why I'm selling lights now (MH+T5+Moonlights) and will get LED or 250w MH.

iani said:
I would consider getting the tank only with those two systems. Or maybe tank/stand and leave the other equipment out. The skimmers on both systems are not the best. Just ask Art about the elos skimmer.

Or Gresham who owns two of them (1000's)

and to follow that up (I won't dare try and ask on RC), what are the skimmers of choice for tanks of that size? Noise matters to me. I'll run eheims as well.

iani said:
What do you think about them Gresh? :)

I got two for sale if that answers your question :)

The venturi clogs and needs to be cleaned nearly every week. Some people pump a little RODI through it using a peristaltic pump every so often but when you close the venturi, the water level rises and floods the collection cup. The concept behind the skimmer is great though :)

I'm starting reading up again since purchase is imminent. From Gresham's post, it looks like if the venturi wasn't problematic, it would be a great skimmer. Correct statement?
Ever implement this fix or know someone who has done the exact fix and had it solve all the issues?
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774959

Hey Tony I just ordered the artistan last week from Atlantis...they just recently started carrying them.

i opted for the tank w/ no stand, as i found the stand a little on the small side for what i have in mind. Im having Max do the stand for me so it can accomodate a larger sump and some space for reactors.

Ill report on the condition and quality as soon as i get it here, which according to them should be sometime this week.

well i just received the tank yesterday from atlantis. I have to say the quality is impressive. the milled ends and the clean seams were the first things i noticed upon receiving it. as long as the back is to a wall, i would say get this tank. if you need all four sides visible i would opt for the Elos. AFA the lighting from cad its OK...nothing to be excited about. i may switch out to a maxspect.

FWIW atlantis ordered some for display. they got in the 39 gal pro and another artisan. for the price theyre asking it may be cheaper to p/u from them rather than having it shipped directly from CAD. Ill shoot some pics soon once i find my camera. HTH

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the big E. Looks like you will be seeing a new Journal from me in a couple months :-D

Back