High Tide Aquatics

Engineer Gobies

I picked up a couple from Derek today. I'm wondering if they're alright in an open top tank? I can't find anything about them being jumpers, but I saw one splash at the surface and it made me wonder.

Mine spends most of his time under his rock at the bottom and only comes out to feed. The 2 years I've had him he has never gone anywhere near the top. Just make sure your rock work is sturdy as they burrow. other than that it should be fine.

So far these guys haven't started burrowing and are spending most of their time in the top 1/3 of the tank. Maybe that's because they're still getting used to the tank or because they're juveniles, though.

I also had a juvie about 3" in a 5.5 gallon a few years ago and never had a problem. Give them time, maybe just getting used to the other inhabitants. Maybe you can put some screening on top for the meantime.

I did go ahead and put screen on the top just in case. They're in my QT tank and there are no other inhabitants, so hopefully that helps them settle down too.

Thanks, everyone.

Yup, never heard/had problems with them jumping. But then again, I never had one that was that small. They always hung out in the bottom 1/3 of my tank. They get BIG though, and I'm pretty sure they were the reason I had cleaner shrimp disappear from that particular tank.

Thales said:
How big are they?

FWIW, we don't have a top on our engineer exhibit at work and never had a jumper.

We never had any issues with them at Cortez Marine either.

We had a school of a dozen of them in one tank I took care off (680g reef). Suckers got nearly a foot long and ate every shrimp to hit the water :)

I had 1, he was great except the bottom 12" of corals would get buied overnight with sand he had cleaned, and I made a huge mistake and had my GFO reactor on the fuge part of my sump thus sucking all the pods out and leaving him with nothing to eat. I ended up losing him to a rock fall where I'm sure he had only gone in search of better food supply. They get really big 12" at least

He's about 10" have to go into a 100+ reef. The reef rocks should be mounted to acrylic rods so he cant make a rockslide out of your tank :) I had plans on putting him into my 180, but just havent been able to set that one up. Right noe the only reef tank I have is a 90 gallon. :(

Back