Kessil

Erick's 28g Nano

Hi everyone here's my tank: JBJ Nanocube 28 HQI with Actinics. I bought it used with live rock and live sand and had it up and running on Mar. 21st

The coraline growth on the live rock was really nice. The live rock is about 90% Tonga and the main piece is Tonga branch.

Hitchhiker's: (my favorite part of the starting process was ID'ing them all)
Stomatella Snail
A few Hair Worms
A few Bristle Worms
a couple collinista snails
Q-tip sponges
green sponges
amphipods and copapods
peanut worms
I had some colonial hydroids, but I took them out.
vermitid snails, I took out the ones that would cause early problems and let the ones higher up stick around for now.
and aiptasia, I think the battle is over on that one.

Livestock:
1 yellow tail damsel (noobie mistake, he's territorial, and will make stocking more fish difficult)
1 peppermint shrimp to clean up my aiptasia. battle seems to be over, I haven't seen one in a few weeks.
10 Astrea Snails
10 blue leg hermits
6 Nassarius Vibex
6 dwarf cerith
1 turbo snail
1 emerald crab
chaeto
codium taylorii

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/tank at two and a half weeks.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/tank one week.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/tank two weeks.JPG

Hi Erick,

I also have a 28 JBJ 150HQI. I noticed that you say you have the actinics. Are these 2 dual 18W's? Just curious as I had to Mod mine with actinics from Nanotuners. Are you running a chiller on yours? I've had mine for about two years and found that I really needed to have a chiller for it. I am using the JBJ nano Arctica Chiller and it has worked well.

I have the nanotuners mod, the previous owner sent the hood in to have them do it. I just bought the same chiller 1/15 hp, but it isn't set up yet. I need a stronger pump.

Small update:
I had some algae blooms happening they seem to be chilling out now.

My Codium taylorii is almost dead :( apparently MH lights are too much for it. I am planning on getting some more once I set up my display fuge, which I might have up next week some time.

Snails are breeding, Chaeto is growing, my three corals are doing well, no signs of aiptasia for maybe a month, I think the addition of the peppermint shrimp was a success. But on a side note, the shrimp and I have some issues, I try to target feed my acan, and he jumps up on it and steals it's food :/

Back to the display fuge, so I am about to get it up and running just need to get a light, a rack from home depot, and probably some dry aragonite sand, I'm going to layer my chaeto over the sand and let it grow that way, instead of a ball, and I plan on taking some rock out of my display tank and throwing it in the fuge. Then get some plants that can actually live under whatever lights I end up with, it was too bad about the codium, I really liked it.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC04158.JPG

Great looking rockwork. Keep up the good work.

About the fuge, are you talking about the little empty space in the back of tank? If so, you can just get the light set-up from a CPR aquafuge and prop it up between the wall and your aquarium (if you have the room). They sell 'em separately on marinedepot. Take a look at my tank link if your interested in seeing what I'm talking about.

That's a lot of purple on that rock !!
I modded a Biocube29 with a 150W but then took it down, was always worried about high temp. but did OK.

See some frags on the bottom waiting to be on the rock I guess?

I have a chiller so temperature isn't a problem. The frags on the sand can stay there till, I figure out where I want them to be :)

Great looking set up. I have a couple macro types you could have as I trim regular.

Yeah figuring out how to stuff the shrimp first, then hitting it with the turkey baster 'jet' to keep it away later. Post here if you find other options work for you.

Couple weeks ago I took a dieing plate coral from a friend to see if it would do better / heal in my tank. It looks like it is doing better, I think it only really puffs up at night, but I see new growth covering up the skeleton that was showing. So hooray for that :D The new flesh is purple, you can see the ring of the new stuff growing back.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC04274.JPG

Back