Reef nutrition

Favorite/least favorite corals?

Just as the title says, I was wondering what everyone's favorite and least favorite corals were. I'll go first.

Favorites:
pulsing Xenia: this coral is what got me into the hobby, I was amazed by its pulsing motion, but now I'm bored of it since it seems to only come in one color.
Encrusting montis: I love these things! They come in great colors, and actually don't seem too hard to take care of.
Least favorite:
Acropora: ok, I find Acropora really interesting, but it seems near impossible to get that perfect coloration!

I started out liking the euphyllia corals and found little attraction to SPS but now it has pretty much swapped. There are so many different acropora colors and shapes. I think some of the draw is just the challenge in keeping them. I think my next favorite after that would be chalices.

I've always been a sucker for a nice euphyllia (frogspawns are my weak spot). The Orange aussie torches come in 2nd.
Dislikes, mushrooms ( including the high dollar jawbreakers and bounce) I just don't see the draw that they demand. Or fad as I would call it.

I've always been a sucker for a nice euphyllia (frogspawns are my weak spot). The Orange aussie torches come in 2nd.
Dislikes, mushrooms ( including the high dollar jawbreakers and bounce) I just don't see the draw that they demand. Or fad as I would call it.
I agree with the jawbreakers but I've seen some bounces that I'd like to have although not for the prices that they go for.

I love large colonies of pink and red goniopora, colonies of gold torches. I'm just starting to fall in love with sps as well as I add it into my tanks. Current favorite Bubblegum Digitata that I just added. Least favorite bounce and jawbreakers. I think there's far prettier mushrooms that are cheap.

Fave: Pectinia! I love those things! Muted, old school, beautifully shaped lobes and different species growth patterns; not so much the bright rainbows. They even have incredible skeletons!
Runners up: Puffy LPS polyps I can feed directly, like Cynarina, Symphyllia, Trachyphyllia, then all Euphyllia. And anything maze brain-like. And I will always love pulsing Xenia. And Agaricia. And Pavona species that look like pectinia. And Pachyseris, and Merulina that looks like it. And the Hydnophora that looks like mouths surrounded by fringe, preferably blue. Okay, apparently I love LPS.

I love sticks/sps, anemones, and gonis. Also like frog/torch/hammers, clams, acans, mushrooms.

Never really got into zoas. Other softies are nice too, until they take over! My tank background were xenias lol.

Back