Reef nutrition

Felicia's 40B Predator Reef

Alright, its photo time! I've got lots of photos for you guys!
happydance.gif

Let's start with the basic FTS from today 7/16/15.

And a few fun angled shots.

Decided to try out my fish eye iPhone lens

And a few more fun shots of the whole tank

Alright and now for some coral shots.

Purple sea rod. This is my favorite of the new gorgonians.

I also decided to play around with the cheap macro lens for my iPhone.

How are you taking these nice pictures? And what macro lens you using with the iphone?
Thank you! I'm just taking them with my iPhone 5 camera. Since the iPhone camera doesn't really have a very good way to do custom white balancing, I have to change my light for photos. I have the maxspect razor, so with the push of a button I can go from my program to a manual mode, which I set for photography. To figure out the settings, I just looked at the tank through the camera and adjust the light more white until the camera picked it up true to what I see in real life with the normal light setting. My normal light setting is 100% blue and 70% white. To match what that looks like in person, I have to turn the light to 30% blue and 70% white for photography. Then I just snap away. I don't do any post processing on these photos.

The macro lens was part of a really cheap 3-in-1 kit on Amazon. It has a wide-angle lens, a fish eye lens, and a macro lens. Here's the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER®-Angle...pebp=1437149611202&perid=17TW2VSJHD6R99S4N4EN

So simple, yet so effective! Very smart.
Time to reprogram my lights to have a mode like that.
In an ideal world, I'd have a fancy DSLR and be able to easily do custom white balance. Since I don't, I had to figure out a way to make my iPhone work. Honestly, I am super impressed with the photos it can take and this is super easy!

Great pics. I love the bright red & yellow sponges, where did you get them?
Thanks, Nav. Those sponges are from KP Aquatics as well. I got them a couple years ago for my seahorse tank and then moved a few sponges into this tank when I took the seahorse tank down.

Reactions: Nav
Felicia you have a beautiful tank. As they say good things can come in small packages. I just recently came back from a trip to Africa so I'm late I replying to some of the conversations that have taken place with your tank. I did notice that you were concerned with the high nitrate level which is probably caused by the amount of food the lion fish eat. I saw where you were thinking about vodka dosing. If so I have been doing it for all three of my aquariums for over a year and it is easy a long as you build up the dosage slowly. I have the dosage for your size aquarium if you want it. Tel 150-655-3066

Dick Flanagan

Felicia you have a beautiful tank. As they say good things can come in small packages. I just recently came back from a trip to Africa so I'm late I replying to some of the conversations that have taken place with your tank. I did notice that you were concerned with the high nitrate level which is probably caused by the amount of food the lion fish eat. I saw where you were thinking about vodka dosing. If so I have been doing it for all three of my aquariums for over a year and it is easy a long as you build up the dosage slowly. I have the dosage for your size aquarium if you want it. Tel 150-655-3066

Dick Flanagan
Thank you, Dick! A trip to Africa? That's so exciting! I hope you had a great time! You should share some photos! I actually decided against vodka dosing after lots of reading/research and decided instead to go with biopellets. I'm really loving them! They're working great at keeping my nitrates and phosphates in check and they are so low maintenance. Just put them in the reactor and then do nothing for months until you have to add some more. Definitely easier than daily vodka dosing and I'm trying to keep this low maintenance :)

For anyone who doesn't get the Marine Depot Newsletter....

It featured my tank last week! Here's the email that went out:

25866835740_9705c0a97c.jpg

Link to the online version of the email.

And then here's the video they put together from clips that I provided them. I think they did a great job!

And finally, here's the link to my feature tank on their website with more information about the tank.

Ok, so I had a ton of photos that I took with the video clips for the Marine Depot video and a bunch of them didn't get used, so I figured I'd share some of those!

Fun angled FTS from March 12, 2016
IMG_2630 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Left side
IMG_2335 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Center
IMG_2343 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Right side
IMG_2349 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

I also took some photos of the sump and equipment. A few of these got used in the video, but I wanted to share them again since I don't photograph the sump often. Its dirty, but oh well! I wanted people to be able to see how my system is set up.

IMG_2210 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

IMG_2217 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

IMG_2223 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

IMG_2220 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

IMG_2226 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Ok, now for some coral shots!

Tyree neon green toadstools.
IMG_2308 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

IMG_2363 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Gorgonians
IMG_2310 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

IMG_2298 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Yellow Fiji leather
IMG_2295 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Green nepthea
IMG_2291 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The giant squamosa is doing wonderfully and still growing!
IMG_2302 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

IMG_2355 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And how about a few top down shots?

The duncan colony is getting huge!
IMG_2564 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

BTA island
IMG_2565 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

All three clams are doing great!
IMG_2567 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Back