Neptune Aquatics

filter sock and plankton feeding. please help!

Good to clean that filter sock if you keep using it.

I'd still go for the lower turnover in the sump. Less splashing, less noise, less electricity, better skimmer/skimming action.

Thanks, Mr Ugly. I will buy the lower GPH pump. So I should get rid of the sock as well so that plankton will not be collected in the sock correct? or turning off 5-10 mins off return pump during feeding time will be enough for plankton to be consumed by the corals? (so that I can keep using the sock). I just don't want plankton I put in DT to be collected in the sock (bad water quality and waste of food), on the other hand, my water is crystal clear right now mainly due to using the sock, hence the headache. :p

Thanks.

Ken.

Taking into consideration the backpressure from the height of tank/stand plus elbows/turns, you should have no more than 300gph returning to your 60g tank. Rule of thumb is 3x-5x. Filter bags do reduce splashing plus salt creep, but they do catch all foods too. You should be replacing your filter socks every 3 or 4 days to not only prevent clogging/overflowing, but so that they don't start to become a nitrate factory. Just have a dozen on hand and swap them out, so that once you have a small pile of dirty socks, bleach them.

I just have one final question regarding this subject, if you all don't mind. Will Maxi-jet 1200 be enough as my sump return pump? It is rate 300GPH at 0ft, but can't find the GPH rate at 4ft. Is MJ pump too small/weak for return pump? The reason I ask is because I want to avoid RIO pump, and the only return pump rated good (as far as I know) is Mag Drive and it might still be too strong (270GPH at 4ft for Mag 3) for my tank according to what I learned from this thread.

Appreciate all your help.

Ken.

MJ1200 cannot handle back pressure, so by the time the water reaches your tank, it maybe less than 1/2 the gph rating. I recommend the Eheim 1250 if you budget allows. It runs cool and can handle the backpressure, so you may end up around 240gph. I would go with the Mag 5 instead if you want to stay with Mag as it drops off very quickly after 4ft, but the Mag 3 would work fine.

Thanks a lot for the info, didn't know about back pressure. I still would like to get GPH down to around 180-200, but I would definitely take a look at eheim. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

On a 60g, anywhere between 180gph-300gph would work. 4x turnover would put you close to what the Mag 3 or Eheim 1250 might actually perform on your setup, so around 200gph-240gph.

yeah, u and Mr Ugly have mentioned that 3-5 times is good enough. My goal is to do minimal water splashing in refug without using filter socks, so trying to get close to 3 times. :) The info you and others provide in this thread has been very helpful to me. Mag 3 and ehiem are my top two choices now. Thanks.

Many hobbyist like to use filter socks because it reduces splashing, collects the initial detritus, and eliminates microbubbles. If you're good a DIY, you can make a filter holder similar to this design, but seal the area between the top plate that holds the plumbing from the overflow and the bottom plate that holds the filter sock. If that area in between is sealed, very minimal splashing and stays within the sump. Ed
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16746&Ntt=filter%20sock%20holder&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Back