Kessil

Filter Socks

Great as a pre-filter. I use a high pressure hose to wash once a week. I also use it after I mixed my salt.

Make sure to clean them after 1 or 2 days. Too many people leave the sock in there too long without cleaning it which leads to a sweet little nitrate factory.

If using socks, don't get the 4" size, stuff the 8" in there to get twice the service life. They'll survive many rinses. My standard method is to simply turn them inside out and rinse them under hot water while working the material. Hang 'em up and use 'em again. I like the job they do in helping to maintain water quality. Marine Depot has sells them made by Purolater and does two for one pricing.

I use them when I change rocks or clean the tank. Probably 10% or less of the time do I have filter sock. I do reuse them until oblivion- I probably get 20-40 uses out of each one. I wash in the washer with only hot water and socks inside out.

CookieJar said:
I use them when I change rocks or clean the tank. Probably 10% or less of the time do I have filter sock. I do reuse them until oblivion- I probably get 20-40 uses out of each one. I wash in the washer with only hot water and socks inside out.

I use bleach, but reduces the life of the socks. They are cheap anyway. I still have a ton that I can't get rid of. Not really that hard to clean and use.

A_Lee said:
Nope, I stopped using them because I needed to clean/replace mine twice a week.

If the socks need to be clean twice a week, that means it is filtering thing for you. So why you stop? LOL

I found that my tank and especially my sump will have much less detritus when I use socks so I have 10 socks that I rotate and washed regularly.

Maybe? I bought it at a sewing shop for like 99 cents a bag "polyfill" . I use a handful where the sponge would normally go in the back of my tank and replace it every week. I bought 3 bags when I started about 9 months ago and still have 2 and half bags left.

Actually, isn't batting a sheet (what you put in quilts) and stuffing..well..isn't it the same stuff material wise as batting, but in a non sheet form (chaotic form) which is used in pillows?

:p

back when I used to quilt.... Umm yah, just kidding :)

Pretty sure the fill, sheet or loose, is still called batting.

I use them, and notice that they collect a lot of detritus. I bought a bunch of socks at a great price from my friend Tom in San Diego, whose mother (a retired seamstress) sews them. I change them twice a week and wash about 12 of them at once with an extra rinse cycle and just a cap full of bleach.

Back