Our mission

Finding The Right Fish

He asked for possible fish suggestions, I provided two that I've kept successfully in the past.

Sorry if you don't appreciate my advice or agree with it all the time. There's room for discussion in this hobby. Let's try to keep the atmosphere on this board one that welcomes that and a variety of opinions...

What? You recommended a fish known to not do well in a nano due to it's eating behavior. Sure a larger tank is fine, but in his? Bad advice countered by voice of reason ;)

If some one suggested he get a trigger for his nano reef I should then welcome the opinion? Nope, not gonna happen. If someones suggestion is out of line for a given tank, some one SHOULD speak up for the animals sake. Read the BAR mission statement and think to yourself, is suggesting a fish that will most likely perish in his tank inline with it?

Gresh - Not taking sides, but throwing my two pennies into the bucket. Though, I greatly value your opinion, and feedback on many issues, I do believe sometimes that [not you in particular] some members are way too harsh on others opinions and such; sometimes ignorance seems enough for a verbal reprimanding. Discussion should always be welcome and expected however. While advice, and experience is gladly welcome at the table, I would be lying if I said many responses to some members [from other fellow aquaria keepers] posts/thoughts have come off as very abrasive.

All I'm asking Gresham... is that you please consider the tone of your replies before you hit 'save'.

There are many ways to express a contrarian view that do not include sarcasm and personal attack.

This forum is supposed to be one where people can chat/communicate and express ideas without the fear of being ridiculed or scolded. I think we all do a disservice to BAR and BAR's mission if we fail to foster a welcoming environment.

FWIW, I didn't realize his tank was on the small side, my oversight. I'm not sure if he has a fuge to supplement pods or if he was willing to train/feed frozen mysis. Either of those are options that could make a dragonet viable. Are there other fish that could be more appropriate for his setup? Sure. Either way, I don't think my advice deserved the response that you provided.

GreshamH said:
What? You recommended a fish known to not do well in a nano due to it's eating behavior. Sure a larger tank is fine, but in his? Bad advice countered by voice of reason

Actually, I know all about their eating behaviors. My tank is loaded with copepods and other small creatures since I have some (legal) types of caluerpa in my tank. I have wanted a dragonet forever but I'm worried about the eating. I'm sure one would have a good food source in my tank, but I'm not sure I want to try it just in case.

Matthew,

While it may seem you have a large copepod and amphipod population in your tank "now," doesn't necessarily mean it will be enough to sustain a dragonet that dines almost exclusively on it. Remember also that dragonet's (not all, but those involved in this thread) are very likely to graze on the pod population in your tank 24/7. Any bountiful natural supply of pods you have will very quickly become nil. Another alternative is to feed something like RN's Tigger Pods, though this can be expensive in the long run.
And again, this is providing you don't have a dragonet that is already weened onto non-pod food sources.

I really like my six line because of the size and color and I'd actually like to keep it. What fish would do OK with a six line? I found he gets along with my clowns which is great. I want jawfish and I know from keeping jawfish that he doesn't bother them. I'm going to get a pearly jawfish, but what other colorful, small fish that are active and actually swim around could you guys suggest for my tank?

It is hard to make a suggestion because six-line's tend to be really mean to a lot of fish. Plus, experiences will vary from aquarium to aquarium, and from person to person. Personally, three out of four six-lines I had were absolute model citizens, for more than a year. Others will say differently. That said, I currently have a six-line housed with three Chromis, one tail-spot blenny, and a skunk clown, and an orchid dottyback. Though the dottyback is getting picked on.

6 line usually mean to the newer fish....alot folks add them to the tank as the last fish. My 4 inch fat one finally died....I never found his body in my 120 after 5 years. Recently I have been able to add some new fish. I still think the angel might do ok, but that is only my opinion.

Eight said:
All I'm asking Gresham... is that you please consider the tone of your replies before you hit 'save'.

There are many ways to express a contrarian view that do not include sarcasm and personal attack.

This forum is supposed to be one where people can chat/communicate and express ideas without the fear of being ridiculed or scolded. I think we all do a disservice to BAR and BAR's mission if we fail to foster a welcoming environment.

FWIW, I didn't realize his tank was on the small side, my oversight. I'm not sure if he has a fuge to supplement pods or if he was willing to train/feed frozen mysis. Either of those are options that could make a dragonet viable. Are there other fish that could be more appropriate for his setup? Sure. Either way, I don't think my advice deserved the response that you provided.

He's all yours, feel free to recommend a gray whale or what ever may have worked for you once.

I am just trying to make him a successful AND responsible reefer using my vast experience that seems to counter everything you have recommended. I'll let you all tell him what to get and simply stay out of these brain draining threads that go no where.

Gresham, I along with many others on this board appreciate your experience and your advice. Honestly. BAR wouldn't be BAR without your participation.

However... forum communication is imperfect. People make mistakes, it's easy to forget details, etc. In this case, my error was focusing too much on thinking of fish that would get along with a sixline. I had forgotten that he has a small tank which would not be a great situation for a dragonet unless he were willing to make extra efforts to compensate for feeding.

So, my mistake, one which I had already pointed out. You don't need to re-quote and bold what I have already acknowledged and publicly confessed. Nor do you have to continue to belittle my own experience and advice.

Just be nice man! :) This is a fun hobby and one in which we are all still learning! BAR is supposed to be a friendly place. There's no need to make people feel stupid or scared to provide their own advice and comments.

I quoted you as people tend to change them after the fact of which makes the post after them look odd. Yup I highlighted the fact you didn't read the thread prior to suggesting a fish that is not really a good fit for his. He did state in this thread about his nano tank.

The more you preach to me, the more I will just preach back. Don't want a sermon, don't conduct one. I don't need any advice. If a MOD feels I do, I will accept that from them, but not from you.

GreshamH said:
The more you preach to me, the more I will just preach back. Don't want a sermon, don't conduct one. I don't need any advice. If a MOD feels I do, I will accept that from them, but not from you.
irony.jpg

Eight said:
All I'm asking Gresham... is that you please consider the tone of your replies before you hit 'save'

GreshamH said:
He's all yours, feel free to recommend a gray whale or what ever may have worked for you once.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think blue whales are actually bigger than gray whales... just saying. So you should've said blue whale. :p

In all honesty Gresh, I think you need to calm down. And breathe! :p As much as I love this club, and all I have learned (and will continue to learn), this thread is a prime example that makes me want to believe what non-members have to say about this club being arrogant sometimes., regardless of who is right or who is wrong. I envy you because you have the experience, and you have seen and experienced more than I may possibly ever will :) , however whenever you play the experience card, it often times comes off quite demeaning.

GreshamH said:
I quoted you as people tend to change them after the fact of which makes the post after them look odd. Yup I highlighted the fact you didn't read the thread prior to suggesting a fish that is not really a good fit for his. He did state in this thread about his nano tank.

I did read the thread, but I focused too much on the sixline compatibility issue vs the tank size. It was a simple mistake and one which I acknowledged. I don't proclaim to be a 'reefing expert' nor am I infallible when I post. Your response on the other hand was personal, sarcastic and condescending. Apparently, this is not the first time, nor am I the only person who has interpreted your posts this way.

Okay gang,

This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere productive.

Personal attacks, baiting each other, and getting to the bottom of who is to blame is not of value.

Helping Matthew identify good options for his tank is the purpose of this thread. Time to turn focus back to that.

Thanks cwolfus! :)

As I've said, I'm probably going to get a jawfish. I would like at least 2 more fish. I really like the dwarf angels and would like to try one with my 6 line. My 6 line seems to be one of the greatly behaved ones and I've had him more than a year now. Again, as I said, he was the first fish to go into the 34g. I added the clowns about 2 months later and then I added more and more fish. The wrasses didn't bother any of the fish at all. If anything, I think my clowns are the most aggressive in the tank. I found clownfish mouth-sized bites in the jawfish that was killed and I'm pretty sure my anemone at the other... :( So I would really like to try a dwarf angel and if that goes well then I'll may get another. If somebody with experience in this situation has an extremely strong objection, then I'll try to listen to what they tell me. ( I'm not trying to be pushy or anything...)

Euphyllia said:
Thanks cwolfus! :)

As I've said, I'm probably going to get a jawfish. I found clownfish mouth-sized bites in the jawfish that was killed and I'm pretty sure my anemone at the other... If somebody with experience in this situation has an extremely strong objection, then I'll try to listen to what they tell me. ( I'm not trying to be pushy or anything...
I'd say you may want to reconsider adding another jawfish based on your personal experience.

Back