got ethical husbandry?

fireman type Monti

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2624.msg27675#msg27675 date=1196630862]
Chuck Norris Monti! I like it.

A infested my tank with monti eating nudibranchs, and this coral ate them!
[/quote]

LOL MIKE! that was a really good one.

mine has lost all color on the tissue, it's no longer brown. but the polyps are super red... does it mean it's bleached?

I might not have light acclimated slowly enough =/ I'll just leave it and see if it can regain color =)

how's everyone else's?

Possibly.

Mine is doing alright still. Basically the same colors on it as when I got it; peach w/brown polyps, haha.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2624.msg28155#msg28155 date=1197267522]
mine has lost all color on the tissue, it's no longer brown. but the polyps are super red... does it mean it's bleached?

I might not have light acclimated slowly enough =/ I'll just leave it and see if it can regain color =)

how's everyone else's?
[/quote]Mama made it home just fine, I'll most likely put it in a more permanent spot this evening. I've bleached the mother colony out a couple of times, not the entire thing, but a good portion of it, and always rebounded. Unless it's close up under direct light, I'd wait it out and most likely it will recover, it may even get a little blue.

Mine seems to be getting there. I think I must have picked up a nice one.

20071210_6.jpg

Well the date of that party as people were leaving I was seriously trying to give away pieces of this coral, not many was taken them, that or enough frags were made that everyone had one, so even though I didn't initially want a piece I took one anyways, (I know what Jeremy means about not being able to give away free coral to this crowd ;)), if I happened to take a piece that was reserved for someone else, I apologize, and I can bring the piece to you at the next meeting or something.

But anyways since I do have the piece now and I cleaned up my tank a bit, I decided to post a photo, unfortunately I can't take decent macro shots for shit anymore, I don't know if I screwed up my camera, the settings, my acrylic is screwy or I just suck (well I do compared to some of the photo freaks here but I did used to be able to take decent macros.... ).

Anyway's here's a shot, this is as macro'd as I can get it, with my eyesight I can NOT make out those individual "tentacles" of the polyps like you can in the picture, but that is the whole point of a macro. In fact the whole center of this frag looks almost like one solid color to the eye due to how many polyps are stacked in there, but it does have that nice annoying green look to the base with red polyps, so I think it's doing a-ok where I put it.
firemanre6.jpg

[quote author=Paradox link=topic=2624.msg39215#msg39215 date=1206920897]
Ive got a 2nd gen frag of this available. Mine is similar to the image above.
[/quote]That was fast Daniel! Good work, finally a 2nd gen (my first!).

Hehe actually mines kind slow too. I had the frag attached with aquamed to a rock. Once it grew off the frag and onto the aquamed/rock, I broke the original frag loose. The original frag is larger then what I have left here, but I do this, because I dont keep a frag tank and I dont want akward shaped frags in my main tank.

Mine looks more like a rusted fire engine, but it's definitely grown down the sides so that you can't see the IC gel anymore.

However due to my recently discovered salinity issues I'm going to fix that first before dumping corals into another tank with normal salinity.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2624.msg45074#msg45074 date=1213031002]
Mine looks more like a rusted fire engine, but it's definitely grown down the sides so that you can't see the IC gel anymore.

However due to my recently discovered salinity issues I'm going to fix that first before dumping corals into another tank with normal salinity.

[/quote]

Mike if you can slowly move it up towards the light, when I was playing with the mother colony the higher up it went the lighter it got. At one point it had a baby blue base with pink polyps, that was a fleeting moment, for the most part it's been gold body with orange polyps when exposed to high light.

Back