Neptune Aquatics

Fish addition idea

popper

Supporting Member
I have a 50g bare bottom. Well, the bottom is 80% live rocks. Currently have 3 clown fish and a cleaner shrimp. I'd like to add more colorful fish. Your recommendations please.

Thanks

Not all. Not sure of the details, but I know six-lines and (I believe) four-lines don't. Mine just makes a mucus cocoon in the corner of the tank/under the rock.
Yuck, that sounds ‘cozy’

I’ve seen threads where people will make a bed for their wrasse by providing a tray or container filled with sand. But I’m not sure how well that works for the fish, or how well it would keep sand in. Seems like a quick way to get bits of sand all over a bare bottom

Doesn't all wrasse require a sand bed?
No just coris, melanurus, and leopards do as far as I know for common wrasses in the hobby. I have a leopard in my 60g frag tank bare bottom just put a sand container in there for him. Thats actually how I caught my old wrasse, just waited for him to go to bed and took the container out.

Flasher wrasses would be great in a 50g - Mccoskers are common and pretty. If you want to try a more sensitive fish sunburst anthias are really pretty but I havent had success with them.

If I had a 50 gallon bare bottom I would probably stock it something like this:
2 clowns
mccoskers flasher wrasse
royal gramma
tailspot blenny
Talbots damselfish
Firefish
1-3 other fish

Fairy and flasher wrasses do not need a sand bed.

I've kept 6 lines/melanurus in a bare bottom tank. I had a tupperware full of sand in the back of the tank for them. That is how I caught them when I tore the tank down.

Lots of choices for colorful fish. Really depends on what kind of fish.

Back