Jestersix

Fishes by special request?

Alright, I'm looking for a particular fish that (afaik) is not typically collected or part of the trade, but according to my research it's not endangered and doesn't seem to have major barriers to collection - does anybody have suggestions for how to go about contacting importers or collectors or (?) ... about trying to obtain a few specimens? Is there a normal protocol for this kind of thing?

Lol, in this particular instance I'm looking for a few of these. Fairly wide distribution, shallow water, reef-associated, etc:
http://fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=7989

Not super showy or anything, I'm just a filefish nerd... but it's a question I've had before about other fish and wanted to know if it's possible to get requests all the way up the chain to the collection points.

With such a wide distribution, I'd be surprised if one of the importers/wholesalers on 104th can't get one for you. You can also inquire with LA and see what they can get through QM.

tuberider said:
With such a wide distribution, I'd be surprised if one of the importers/wholesalers on 104th can't get one for you. You can also inquire with LA and see what they can get through QM.

104th will hang up on her if she does not have an account. LA is the route I would go as Kevin has access to some incredible suppliers that most people can't talk to.

Contacting exporters is not what you want to do. To get a few fish here would be a logistical nightmare and you'd run into import issues as well.

Rudarius minutus - never seen it and I have imported thousands ox boxes of fish from all parts of that region.

I would try contacting Dominick at Diamonds of the Reef. http://www.diamondsofthereef.com/ (site is not up yet though, I will get you his email if you want). Dom is a big file guy, along with other odd balls.

GreshamH said:
tuberider said:

104th will hang up on her if she does not have an account. LA is the route I would go as Kevin has access to some incredible suppliers that most people can't talk to.

Contacting exporters is not what you want to do. To get a few fish here would be a logistical nightmare and you'd run into import issues as well.

I should rephrase that, your LFS can talk to people on 104th and see what's shakin', although you may fine that LA is the most reliable route.

Back