Reef nutrition

Florida Mantis Shrimp - Free (Update 5 April 2024)

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I have been able to catch one of (two?) Mantis Shrimp, which came with the Florida live rock I ordered. It is tiny, and the picture below is only for reference, not the actual picture.

It is currently in my pico tank and easy to catch if someone is interested.

IMG_1328.jpeg

Wow nice how'd you catch it?
Good question. Not with the bottle trap method, which is what I might need to do for other still in the DT. I was going to ask here about the best way to catch one with this method - which food to put into the bottle for the mantis?

To answer your question. My son saw it under a live rock and we took it out of the water and into a bucket and it came off the rock instantly - cold saltwater. I guess we were lucky. Lots of clicking now in the Pico tank.

My daughter and I would love to have both if they aren't claimed. I've got one living the best life in my DT! LOL
1000006353.jpg

But I would be thrilled to setup a couple extra tanks. I've got plenty of space on my freshwater shrimp rack.

Please ignore the cycling tanks. They're green for a reason.

1000006524.jpg

My daughter and I would love to have both if they aren't claimed. I've got one living the best life in my DT! LOL
View attachment 52003
But I would be thrilled to setup a couple extra tanks. I've got plenty of space on my freshwater shrimp rack.

View attachment 52002
You got it - and also the second one if I am able to catch it.

Sweet! My daughter is going to be so happy. She came into my room at probably 11pm, and said, "DAD! Did he get back to you yet?! Because I'm thinking of names already." LOL

So they are coexisting in the same tank?
Haha . Big pressure on me to keep this alive until you can take it. It is still tiny though, so hopefully she will not be disappointed.

They both came with the live rock, but again, I am uncertain if there is actually a second one in the tank. When I wrote this post I was pretty sure but since writing this post I have only heard the snipping noise in the Pico tank.

View attachment 52003

View attachment 52002
How is it having one in your DT? I'd assume that it'd murderify any CUC you have (as well as potentially some smaller fish).

Haha . Big pressure on me to keep this alive until you can take it. It is still tiny though, so hopefully she will not be disappointed.

They both came with the live rock, but again, I am uncertain if there is actually a second one in the tank. When I wrote this post I was pretty sure but since writing this post I have only heard the snipping noise in the Pico tank.
No pressure. She's excited for the possibility that you may have a female. If we can confirm the species, and it appears we have a male, she wants to get them into their own tank to see if they'll breed.

How is it having one in your DT? I'd assume that it'd murderify any CUC you have (as well as potentially some smaller fish).
It's been amazing observing his behavior. He actually hasn't been too much of a bully to the CUC that I've introduced. Today, I introduced a bunch of new CUC and some pretty small. I put in some very small hermits (on purpose), in case he wanted live prey. There are a couple that are missing and shells that haven't moved in days. But the bigger CUC, he leaves alone. I introduced an Emerald crab. The crab definitely has seen him and then hides. But I don't think he's seen the crab, or has determined it's too big. I did get a larger one on purpose to hopefully stay alive long enough to help with my algae issues.

We were now able to confirm that there is still another Mantis Shrimp hiding in one of the rocks, and unfortunately, this is a ‘larger’ specimen estimated to be approx 2 inch or longer and thicker type.

We tried the bottle trick for a couple of days with a clam (food) inside, but it did not work (Nassarius ‘loved’ it though and three got stock in it). I assume we need to do this longer? Any experience how long this will take? Or any other advice how to catch it?

@ReyDeFarts - you still have the first right to get him if you are still interested :), and once I am able to get him out.

Last edited:
View attachment 52003

View attachment 52002

Oh boy!
I see you too have “ the problem “
We are conscientious enablers!

you still have the first right to get him if you are still interested :), and once I am able to get him out.
If be happy to give it a home! I have not yet got eyes on the first one you gave me. I hear it though! Also, I still have your container btw.

Hopefully, it would be the opposite sex of the one I already have. I've been doing more research and they are not good tank mates, unless it's the opposite sex and the female is receptive. Otherwise, she can eliminate the male.

Back