Kessil

Flow Question

I'm running two Hydor powerheads one is larger than the other, but can't remember the flow rate. I had an MP-40 but it was way too strong. Considering adding an MP-10, but will my reef really benefit $230 worth, or should I just add another Hydor slightly larger?

Magnet on MP40 is much more powerful. How thick is your glass? As to the Hydor vs the Ecotech the dollar difference is worth it for the MP10 in my opinion, but both suffer from the same issue if flow pattern are a problem for you -- they both have a limited conical flow. I prefer Gyre's in my tanks.

Even on the lowest setting the MP40 is too strong? I mean if anything that's one of the bigger benefits of DC pumps is that you can adjust for your needs, although I think the lowest setting is still 2k+ GPH with the mp40. Do you feel you need more flow? The MP10 is really designed for smaller tanks in the sub 40gallon range, not sure how big your tank is.

Depends on what kind of reef you're trying to build. For my 87G tank sps dominant, with lps, zoas, and softies mixed in, I went with 2x gyres, each outputting nearly 5,000 g/hr.

I like high flow and high energy tanks. Even with my 47G, I went with 2x MP10wES on the backwall. In the 87G on the back wall, the MP10s weren't even noticeable as far as flow was concerned.

I use Maxspect on my two main tanks. Either size should work for your tank. I have an Icecap on the frag tank and it's not as robust or easy to program, but it is a great pump for the price.

You have enough flow for what you're trying to do already. You don't. "Need" more, better, or different than what you have. You may be over thinking things here. Wanna try a green slimer with what you have now and see what happens?

I guess if your MP40 feels too strong, you can use a lower voltage power supply for it; Ecotech had years ago the MP20; they discontinued it in favor of the smaller MP10 and about the same time they came up with the MP60

Back