Jestersix

For those that use CO2 media -what are you using and where are you purchasing it from

Sometimes you can have really frothy skimmate and in those cases, the bubbles and anything stuck to the bubbles can get sucked into the scrubber intake.

not all skimmers have float switches that turn off the skimmer if the collection cup is full, in those cases can liquid skimmate can be sucked into. Even worse is if the scrubber intake is not located at the very top of the collection cup.

You can see how I implement the air intake out of my external fuge in this post. I made it cleaner and added some elbows and mounted underneath the shelf so it’s cleaner now, but you get the idea.

Post in thread 'Randy’s Innovative Marine 75 Ext'
https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/randy’s-innovative-marine-75-ext.32907/post-488514

You can see how it’s set up now in this video. I added a water collection cup before the actual media.

To @RandyC and @JVU ’s points about skimmate hitting the CO2 media & kaboom-I am indeed worried about that even though the CO2 canister is above the sump -still paranoid that an overflow will push it up high enough to get sucked in- & my protein skimmer has blown up a couple times not to trust it.

If I ever get around to making a switch float or use a sensor may change my mind. One thing that I did though was put a t juncture on the incoming and then tubing into a jar with 1/2 water to generate humidity. Works in the summer not so much in the winter. May see if I switch jars and put the jar in the sump it will generate enough humidity to kick back into gear on regular basis.

In summer-I can get to 8.1-8.3
Right now not doing much as I am all out.

I don’t mind the maintenance per se. I have never used kalk so can’t compare ph per se -but as I use AFR -alk is good -and trying to balance that would have implications for CA..

I added a "catch can" in between my skimmer lid and the co2 scrubber. This does a good job of holding excess liquid and keeping it from getting into the scrubber but there is still risk. A float switch to shut off the skimmer inside the catch can would probably make it almost fail safe and is something I will look into incorporating this week.

I bought the MedVet 5 gallon jug of soda lime recently. The bucket it comes in is airtight and has a twist-off cap on the spout.

Regarding it "going bad", my two cents: the only CO2 getting in there is the minimal amount of gas exchange that occurs when you open the jug, pour your media out, and then replace the cap. The media will absorb any CO2 in the air that gets in there during that time period, but that should be minimal. I think it should stay good as long as you keep the cap on.
most plastic is gas permeable to a degree. This is why soda goes flat even when not opened. It will go bad, its just the question of how long. You're probably good. I wasn't good on my bulk kalk purchase years ago lol

When choosing packaging for TDO, Reef Nutrition went with mylar bags.

most plastic is gas permeable to a degree. This is why soda goes flat even when not opened. It will go bad, its just the question of how long. You're probably good. I wasn't good on my bulk kalk purchase years ago lol

That’s useful information! Thanks

I think this is why I liked BRS before they changed theirs from mylar to the PET bottles for Kalkwasser. I still use the old bags since you can squeeze out the headspace and zip them closed.

Back