Neptune Aquatics

Forum Contest: Semi-Rainbow Acan Grow-out Contest - WINNER

I did an inspection of Winfield's cabinet and found this.

51c174b29220a.jpg

He's on the roids! DISQUALIFIED!

Lol by the way that is a real coral food.

Congrats to @wpeterson .....much deserved winning as you have take the cake on this one....the coral look absolutely fabulous!!!!

Please share all your ticks to making this flourish so well....

It has been fun to be in this contest even tho I was in the grouping of no growth...lol

@Enderturtle no the $10 was not to much to have a fun competition between fellow BAR members

Congrats you crushed us. "If you ain't first you're last!"
I still like mine can't beat such a beautiful coral for only $10.

Thanks Mike for starting these contests it's nice to see what mine should/could look like someday.

Ryan

Thanks guys for the kind words and to @Enderturtle for organizing the contest, we've been lucky to have a ton of great events thanks to his hard work this year.

I'm lucky our flame angel hasn't eaten the acans, yet. He nibbled on the CA Reef Co acro in the other growout.

Tank Params:
Alk: 9 dkh
Calc: 480ppm
Mag: 1800+ ppm
Salinity
Temp: 77-79 F
Lighting: 2x Kessil A350W, 1x Kessil A350N - blues @ 100%, whites @ 50%, 6" above water surface, 8 hour photo period (12pm-8pm)

Coral Plan:
Acclimation: fast drip acclimation, on frag plug for a week before mounting
Placement: mounted on rockwork, just above substrate, 20" below surface
Tank Feeding: Live Phytoplankton, Omega One Marine Pellets, Frozen Zooplankton (Argent Cyclopeeze), Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp
Target Feeding: 1-2x/month, cyclopeeze, pellets, or diced scallop feet (when we're eating scallops)

Stable params are the foundation, but I would attribute the healthy growth to opportunistic feeding on cyclopeeze in the water column which we feed a small amount of every day for our Mandarin pair.

Congrats wpeterson@.

Seems like your tank params for Calc and Mag are much higher than the normal 'recommended'. Especially with Mag at 1800 ppm. I know there isn't any detrimental affect with having high mag but 1800 seems super high.

Congrats wpeterson@.

Seems like your tank params for Calc and Mag are much higher than the normal 'recommended'. Especially with Mag at 1800 ppm. I know there isn't any detrimental affect with having high mag but 1800 seems super high.

Thanks. They are higher than folks often run them. The risk of higher calc is precipitation, but Mag >= 3x Calc usually prevents that risk. I run higher Mag also to encourage coraline instead of more nuisance algae, which has helped us avoid most hair algae. It doesn't help with bubble algae or cyano, though and we've recently had some of both.

Back