High Tide Aquatics

Found an aiptasia on my clam!

kinetic

Supporting Member
Growing from under the mantel, I think I see an aiptasia. Got the captive born clam from Neptune Aquatics, but now it's showing a big aiptasia growing on the back. Do I need to toss the clam? Last thing I want is aiptasia in my tank, but I also want to save the clam if possible. I already tossed a bunch of corals I got that came with bubble algae =/

you should be able to kill it without hurting the clam...its on its shell right? just get the clam to close - take it out of the water and kill the aiptasia. The clam will be fine out of the water for a minute or 2.

Had the same with happen with my clam a few month back. Aiptasia was really close to the mantle but i was able to get it with some kalk paste. been gone every since without harming the clam. Do as apon says and get the clam to close, squirt the aiptasia and let it sit in a seperate container for a few minutes.

Why didn't you simply frag the base of the corals with bubble algae? Did you really need to throw them away? :( :( :(

GreshamH said:
Why didn't you simply frag the base of the corals with bubble algae? Did you really need to throw them away? :( :( :(

Yeah sorry I meant to say I fragged them and tossed the base. Though the pieces I had recently (or have) are all frags anyway, so a few I lost because it was such a small frag already. No worries, I definitely tried to save as much as possible.

Back