Neptune Aquatics

[Frag Swap Question] What do you want for the Members Frag Swap?

Do you want to add Bonus Rounds to the Members Frag Swap?

• Yes

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I don't understand Bonus Rounds.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Alright so the BAR Members Frag Swap will be in March, most likely March 19, 2016.

At the last Regional Frag Swap, I introduced the Bonus Rounds to the frag swap. It was a big hit among people who participated. Bonus rounds are a regular thing among clubs throughout northern california. We were essentially the last club to finally add bonus rounds.

The Members Frag Swap is a special event within BAR and I don't want to make changes that y'all might disagree with.

One main question for you club members.
  1. Do you want to add optional Bonus Rounds for the Members Frag Swap?
  2. Also, taking special requests/suggestions for the Members Frag Swap
If you didn't know, bonus rounds are the first two rounds of the frag swap. The purpose is to encourage people to bring high-end/collector/secret stash corals to the frag swap by allowing first pick in a round where other people have also brought the same level of corals. The other benefit is that bonus corals remain in the regular rounds for everyone to get as well.

More information on Bonus Rounds and Frag Swaps here.

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/how-does-a-bar-frag-swap-work.17917/

FYI: The Diablo Corals has scheduled their frag swap to be on March 5, 2016.

If you think bonus rounds are a good idea for the members frag swap, I will add a special raffle for the person that brings the most "ultra"/"bonus" corals to encourage people to save some really nice frags for the BAR swap.

Last edited:
Bonus rounds are great!
I think that mostly because it stops any complaining as well.

It is amusing though:
You get people that bring high end corals complaining about people who bring hammer and shrooms
getting the same pick. Yet when you watch the corals that get picked first .... it is often the hammer and shrooms.
;)

I think this system is really cool! At the last swap, I very new, had very few corals (I bought a set of frags from LC to participate) and of course had no bonus eligible corals. I also picked the second to last letter. But even then, when my round came I was able to score a frag of mary jane zoas which were one of the bonus corals! The next round I got a jack o' lantern! I picked up these great corals after probable 100+ had been picked. So while people who do bring the bonus and ultra corals get first dibs, this system does a great job bringing in cool corals for the general pool of corals as well.

Also is there any idea when the date will be set for sure? I want to make sure to get it off for work :)

Well since I unfortunately won't be there as certain life changing moments is supposed to happen around that time, AND there's no vote for a petting zoo, I voted yes. Last swap was nice to see an assortment of colorful corals that normally you don't see.

Bump for more input. If you have an issue with bonus rounds, this is your chance to let us know! My main goal is to have you members attend! If you don't like the optional bonus rounds and don't plan on coming because of them, then it's kinda my fault.

The date has of the frag swap has been set to March 19, 2016
, but I don't recommend requesting time off....super early. I'm 70% sure it will happen on that day. As of today, there is a 30% chance it might change to 3-26-2016. My girlfriend's birthday is the week before and I want to do something special. That in combination with planning a frag swap....lotta work but I'm pretty sure I can have the frag swap on March 19, 2016.

Oh yes.

Some clubs did allow people to bring 10 common frags for bonus round tickets.

We would not allow that. You need bonus corals to be in the bonus round.

I thought the rule was that you could bring one ultra coral or three regular corals for a bonus round ticket. That's in addition to the corals for the regular swap though right?

So bonus rounds help bring the higher end corals to the frag because (iirc there are 2 bonus rounds) even if everyone who participates in the bonus round picks a bonus coral in both their bonus rounds, still leaves 1 bonus coral that goes into the general pool per participant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So bonus rounds help bring the higher end corals to the frag because (iirc there are 2 bonus rounds) even if everyone who participates in the bonus round picks a bonus coral in both their bonus rounds, still leaves 1 bonus coral that goes into the general pool per participant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct. And members have a chance to contribute to the bonus coral list.

I'm not going to be there, but here are my thoughts. Bonus round is great, my only problem is that many MANY zoanthids were on the bonus list compared to all other corals combined, now while I get that color morphs can be rare, it seems like every fancy name out there was a rare color. So if you want to keep them coming in that's fine, but I might suggest upping the polyp count requirement, I mean 2 of the "bonus" corals I got (in later rounds obviously since I didn't bring bonus corals) doubled in polyp count within a month. To me that says if it's in any way rare, it won't be for much longer as they grow like weeds. I also get the idea that some grow fast and some grow slow, so that might make it more difficult to deal with it.

Overall I don't think corals need to be rare compared to the whole of corals, but maybe uncommon/rare in this particular area. So if 8 people in the club have a Uranium Bounce mushroom, maybe that's so much rare, even though it might sell for $200 a polyp at a LFS or online (I have no idea how much they sell for).

Going to be sad this is like the first frag swap I will miss since the club formed, someone else will have to take the tazering duties over for the coral area :D

Back