Kessil

Gablami's Reefer 525 Build

At least in theory though you could use equipment from your main tank if you bleach or vinegar treat then dry and sit for a couple days, right? Since it is part of the normal TTM process of alternating between tanks. Don't get me wrong, I get that this has been super stressful and I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to take anything remotely similar to a risk of re-infection. Just curious since I'm sure you thought about it.

Yeah you can bleach and dry, or just dry, but I've got a bunch of coral in the main DT and all equipment is needed to maintain stability in that tank as well. Besides skimmer, I would say most equipment is more for corals than fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but if you have the spare gear, I'm with Gabe on this having gone through the nightmare myself, and wouldn't have chanced it. Im paranoid now and I sterilize everything with a 3% bleach solution, rinse, then air dry 24h.

I'm about halfway through my fallow period, and ghost feeding my tank is causing my bristle worm population to explode (plus all my bristleworm predators are in a holding tank). I made a bottle trap with a deli container and some RO tubing, and it seems to be working! Amazing how these guys can localize food.

e4f47370e46162e2505dd9a358a89d3b.jpg

Finally got rid of my 5G fuge and replaced it with an ATS. 4x20W lights. Hopefully with this I won't need nopox or gfo any longer. We'll see.

1dbe8431e1d150f6fe5447adceb9304f.jpg

Well, I have finally reach the end of my fallow period...PSYCH!

Today is day 75, and I was aiming for 76. I've been looking forward to this day for weeks! I was going to remove some fish and introduce some new ones. I text my friend asking when he is going to pick up some fish from me, and he tells me, "Bad news, I found ich in my tank." Bad news indeed.

But then I realize that this same friend gave my 5 frags two weeks ago. Really nice frags, being the generous friend he is. And they went into my DT after dip.

DOH. Frags from a tank with known ich. I knew I wasn't supposed to add anything new during the fallow period. And this is what I get.

So I'm gonna add another 6 weeks to the fallow period, to make it 8 weeks from when the frags entered.

I know it's super low chance that the frags have ich cysts on them, but at this point, am I really going gamble and start putting fish back into the display, only to have to break it all down again to catch them? No.

So instead of planning how to add my fish back in, I've been planning how to setup a QT tank in a cabinet. Inspired by @scuzy's cabinet QT tank.

Today is day 75, and I was aiming for 76. I've been looking forward to this day for weeks! I was going to remove some fish and introduce some new ones. I text my friend asking when he is going to pick up some fish from me, and he tells me, "Bad news, I found ich in my tank." Bad news indeed.

But then I realize that this same friend gave my 5 frags two weeks ago. Really nice frags, being the generous friend he is. And they went into my DT after dip.

DOH. Frags from a tank with known ich. I knew I wasn't supposed to add anything new during the fallow period. And this is what I get.

So I'm gonna add another 6 weeks to the fallow period, to make it 8 weeks from when the frags entered.

I know it's super low chance that the frags have ich cysts on them, but at this point, am I really going gamble and start putting fish back into the display, only to have to break it all down again to catch them? No.

So instead of planning how to add my fish back in, I've been planning how to setup a QT tank in a cabinet. Inspired by @scuzy's cabinet QT tank.

Wow, that’s some bad news.

You could also take the frags back out, and QT them.

Any cysts that have hatched into theronts only have a day to find a fish or die.
So once you pull the frags, you can add fish quickly.

The cysts that remained on the frags still may take weeks to hatch, but if they are in a separate QT, no worries.

You could also take the frags back out, and QT them.

Any cysts that have hatched into theronts only have a day to find a fish or die.
So once you pull the frags, you can add fish quickly.

The cysts that remained on the frags still may take weeks to hatch, but if they are in a separate QT, no worries.
That is a freakin brilliant idea!

I've been trying to research this question but haven't found a satisfactory answer. Can ich encyst on a living coral? Not just the skeleton of LPS or the frag glue, but like the surface of a monti or acropora? When I received the corals I cut off the glue and plugs, and just glued the frags in. I kept the JF beach bum on the plug, but can cut that off too if needed.

I figure, algae doesn't grow on live coral, and it's probably because the coral kills it. I wonder whether coral will kill the ich cysts too.

For sure the common wisdom is that ICH and other pests don’t encyst on living flesh, that is the point of cutting the frags off of the plugs (besides asthestics). I don’t have a paper to cite, but that is what I’ve always heard and it makes sense biologically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For sure the common wisdom is that ICH and other pests don’t encyst on living flesh, that is the point of cutting the frags off of the plugs (besides asthestics). I don’t have a paper to cite, but that is what I’ve always heard and it makes sense biologically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Also many pests lay eggs at the base of a coral so removing that part can be wise.

Been way too long since I updated. Given my ich event, and letting my tank go fallow, I invested some time, money and space in a proper cycled QT tank.

6741c9508de677d4969065d0e3b7b7fe.jpg

f77e5aeb72bfe7095736050e43d80287.jpg

Its totally overkill, but got a lot of the equipment used for a good deal. The stand is an ikea stand. I moved one of the dividing center posts over to accommodate the IM20 tank.

Next update is I was finally able to add a pair of diamond gobies to the main DT. They are keeping the sand spotless. I don’t keep any corals/frags on the sand bed so I have had no complaints.

Lastly, I just bought 20lb of liverock from ARCreef.com. Going to QT it for 4 weeks and try to make sure there’s nothing bad on it before putting it in my sump. Trying to increase the biodiversity of my reef. Acropora are growing, just inconsistently. Some grow great, others are stalled, a few are STNing on me. Once I get the rock I’ll update.

Back