Gablami's Reefer 525 Build

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Gablami, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Had a mitratus butterfly very briefly. It passed away within the first 24 hours of arriving. Beautiful fish that I would like to try again one of these days.

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

3. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I only have sps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Guest

are those real hardwood floors?

5. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

Reeferfoxx commenting to rack comment counts or something? Wtf is this.

Anyways. Have you tried any other butterflys or angels besides the copperband? There are some I really want.... but dont want to spend the money just to have them not eat and eventually die.... I think the fate of my boxfish will be similar... bad impulse buy. I heard sticking the food paste on the side of the tank gets them eating? Any idea what is a good brand to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Gablami

Gablami Guest

Masstick is what people have used. I’ve tried it in the past. I find it messy and kinda gross to deal with.

There are genicanthus angels that are considered reef safe. I have had the watanabei, Japanese swallowtail and bellus and they were all beautiful and hardy fish.

I have not tried any other butterflyfish yet besides several tries at the cbb. I’ve got clams and LPS, and not ready to take the gamble yet.

7. Gablami

Gablami Guest

My tiny “mag” from aquasd didn’t work out. It had a weak foot and frequently let go, and it really never acted like an h magnifica. It liked to stay down low and in the crevices and corner of the bare bottom tank. It never looked happy and eventually (maybe after getting stuck to my mp10 covers for the 10th time) it started to deteriorate and I said goodbye.

Fortunately @kinetic kept an eye out for me on the forums and someone in Maryland had their LEDs die on them and wanted to sell their mag ASAP. Here are some of his photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I jumped on it, and we worked out getting it shipped to me overnight. It arrived earlier than expected, but when I opened up the package the water felt a bit warm. He had used two hand warmers in the styrofoam box and when I measured the temp, it was 86 degrees. I floated it until the temp matched my tank, and then took it out of the bag and began acclimating it.

[​IMG]

I did a relatively fast acclimation — the salinity difference was only 0.001 — and rinsed it off really well, before putting it directly into my plumbed-in frag tank. It’s foot was sticky and I had to peel it off the bottom of my acclimation bucket, and it stuck down to my pedestal right away.

I turned up the flow and it was right under the lights. Over the next few hours it seemed to inflate well but the mouth stayed open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still thought it was doing ok. But once the lights turned off, within a couple hours it really took a nose dive. The body was deflated and flattened, and the mouth was widely gaping.

[​IMG]

I decided to treat the nem and moved it into a waiting 10g hospital tank, and started at a cipro dose of 250mg/10g. This is at the start of treatment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about 10 hours of lights out cipro treatment, it looked a bit better. Mouth was still open, but not gaping. More inflated. I then turned on the light and gave it about 12 hours of light treatment. And by the end of the day, it was looking great:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a water change and redosed the cipro for another lights out period. I’m going to keep treating for 7 days, to be safe. But I seriously thought the nem was a goner. Who knows, it could still go downhill, but I was pleasantly surprised at the recovery.

If anyone is interested in the history of this treatment, check out @OrionN’s posts about midway through this page:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-i-cipro.211822/page-5

Edit: post #97 dated 12/05/17

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    kinetic and jorahx4 like this.
  8. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster

Wow that’s a nice mag! Congrats!

9. Gablami

Gablami Guest

Thanks man. Still not out of the woods, but I’m hopeful.

10. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

That is really interesting, thanks for the link and the info. Beautiful nem, congrats!! I hope it is huge and happy for you. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Gablami

Gablami Guest

Sadly, my paternity leave is coming to an end (as is my daily reefing time).

I finally got a used 60mm macro lens, and figured I would post some recent shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Gablami

Gablami Guest

I was buoyed by the fact that the mag was staying on his pedestal. So I decided to try to move him into the display tank. I cleared some room out, and made sure it’s tentacles couldn’t touch the rock or glass. Also checked par, and he was getting even more in the DT lower down than in the frag tank (300+).

[​IMG]

He stayed there for almost a week. Yesterday afternoon came home to this.

[​IMG]

Almost gave me a heart attack since I imagined all my frags dying. Peeled him off and put him back in the frag tank.

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

Any casualties?

14. Gablami

Gablami Guest

Sadly a couple. ARC fireworks and fox flame going down. The vinh is ok but has mucous strands coming off it. Same with myagi.

15. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I saw that scoly there that it missed though.

16. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

That’s too low for a Magnifica. It wants LOTS of light. SPS level.

17. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Moving top higher ground for light

18. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

How's the new mag now?