Reef nutrition

Geotronic Ocean Thermo-Regulators Question

Hi Folks,

Has anyone heard of these devises or better yet used one of these? http://www.petsolutions.com/GEOtronic-Ocean-Thermo-Regulators+I19020606+C1044.aspx They are cooling / heating devices for providing stable water temps.

I found this a few weeks ago in a petsolutions.com catalog. They're far from cheap, but I'd consider purchasing one should my chiller ever fail, by then maybe the price will drop accordingly.

Anyway, I'm interested in anyone's 2 cents.

Thanks for following and posting back.

Happy Reefing.
Joel

I suggest you read up on just how peltier chillers, or TEC chillers work. They are not like normal chillers and have more downfalls as far as the ambient temp of the room.

I highly doubt the price will drop any time soon, it's held there for several years.

Here is the WIKI link but it doesn't go into the downfalls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

The pull down really isn't there with them in those products. It will vent the heat to your room where it serves only to heat up the tank again ;)

I've used TEC chillers, own a couple of the iceprobes and was a beta tester for them years ago.

Hi Gresham,

Thank you for taking the time to address my inquiry and for the Wiki link too. :)

I understood that the Peltier-Seebeck effect would be involved. H)

I started studying up on this subject a few months ago as I've been considering this as a heating / cooling solution for our house over central forced air heat. :crown:

My conclusion was that for the scale of our house and the size of my aquarium, it does not seem cost effective for our needs.
I think in principle it makes green sense, but in practicality, it costs big greenbacks. $) I'm figuring the recapture of the initial investment would take in excess of 5 to 7 years to break even, so I'll wait until the economies of scale find some sort of equilibrium

I'd still be interested in learning what experience/s folks have had or are having; and I may post my inquiry on R/C where it may reach a different market demographic.

Best to you in the New Year. :party:

Happy Reefing. 0:)

Sincerely
Joel

Thanks again. Your points and comments are well received. :bigsmile:

Just took at look at that Iceprope and controller and that looks like a really cost effect way to go. Thank you for the heads-up / 411 :bigsmile:

Aren't most peltier systems inefficient? We have some stuff here at work that's only 10% efficient. Dump in lots of power to remove 10% of it or something like it? Nice for your tomahawk guidance electronics but your tank? Fill me in.

yup. Pretty inefficient. The good ones might be pushing 10-15% efficiency. ..now, on a daily cycle you needed to heat way more than you cool, and you had a switching thermal mass reservoir.... :p

Back