Reef nutrition

Getting out of a bad cycle?

I would try another test kit to help verify the Hanna value at least ballpark wise.

Before the Trident, I always run a few tests when changing reagents or new test kits against a known solution like a reference solution.

That way you have a baseline of how far of a deviation the tests are.

There is no way to calibrate a Hanna tester at home. The ‘calibration’ test is just a verification that the tester is within range.

My suggestion other than another test kit is to stop all dosing.

Take tests at the same time everyday and see the trend. Do manual dose to bring back to desired level (if higher than desired, let it drop) as long as it is less than 1 dkh. If more than 1 dkh, break up into several doses.

Once you have a better understanding of what your tank is doing, do a manual adjustment dose to get your tank to the desired levels then start auto dosing again.

Make sure to calculate the required amount based on the manufacturer of the 2 part you are using.

Keep testing everyday at the same time everyday, adjusting as you go and soon you will get a stable (within 1 dkh is acceptable imho) level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Need some help here. Per my tank journal I’m relatively new to dosing and this is my first small tank.

What’s happened:
- my raja chalice from @ofzakaria started dying
- I tested my alk - it had been stable but had dropped to 6.5
- slowly increased my all for reef dosing (10%) but it was still hanging low at 7.1-7.4
- I upped dosing again (10% more) and did a couple of spot doses
- ran out of Alk test for Hanna ordered new reagent
- no tests for 3 days
- 2 tests today are 11.5 alk

I am in a bad spiral here.

What’s going on? Reagent? The small dose increases suddenly swinging the balance like crazy?

2 babies at home - so not tons of time to debug.

Any strategies or experience here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As i said in the past, do not worry even if you lost the chalice. the last thing you want to do is too much changes just to save one frag,

As i said in the past, do not worry even if you lost the chalice. the last thing you want to do is too much changes just to save one frag,
Sound advice. Sometimes i inexplicably lose pieces while everything else is fine. And without changing anything, the pieces do fine next time (or 2nd time after that).

As long as you understand your system, and it's as you expected, that's 3/4 of the battle. Over rotating can put your whole tank at risk versus just a few peices.

To this day, i still can't successfully keep Palmer's Blue milli from @Coral reefer . Despite multiple tries

Also, I believe you can do things to reduce alkalinity of your salt mix if you are concerned. I believe white vinegar will reduce alk? Don't take my word for it though

Also, I believe you can do things to reduce alkalinity of your salt mix if you are concerned. I believe white vinegar will reduce alk? Don't take my word for it though
i dont think so. Vinegar added to RO water increases the amount of kalk(and therefore alk) you can dissolve, so maybe vinegar would make the mixed saltwater more stable (this could be useful for storing high alk mixes)? Just speculating...

Well - it looks like given my time (I have a newborn and a 21 month old running around during WFH) - automation may be the best bet. Looking into a kH guardian now, and will see how things fluctuate when I do water changes / carbon changes.

Back