Cali Kid Corals

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

i thought with most biological cleaner for ich, like wrasse and shrimp they can't get too deep under the ailing fish to get to the ich that's burrowed under its scales?

I've read the same thing about wrasses and dragonets with the thick mucus they secrete makes them less vulnerable to the ich parasite. Just from observing the animals the hippo and swallowtail angels got it worst, but are looking really good. I saw some spots on the exquisite wrasse, and orange back briefly. Anthias, pygmy angels, blenny, clowns, etc. all look good also.

"Scarbird, post: 255690, member: 646"]I ordered both anti parasitic and anti fungus caviar.
These were in the LFS for some time (over a month) and looked great. I am beginning to wonder if the QT is not too confining or conditions not as good as they would be in a larger system. Interestingly, they all look and act happy.
Referencing photos in Lance Ichinitsubo's book, these appear to be Uronema marinum which is parasitic in nature. Hard to know for sure.
I suspected uronema also. The anti parasitic caviar is probably your best bet to treat it.

="Geneva, post: 255695, member: 3558"]Jim - ever notice your pygmy angels nipping at your corals?! I'm trying to catch my lemon peel as it seems to like nipping them.....
Hi Geneva,

I have never noticed the pygmy angels nipping at the corals. Although, I did notice one of the female swallowtails nipping on my open brain the other day. I have a XL Acclimate fish trap if you need to borrow it.

Hi Geneva,

I have never noticed the pygmy angels nipping at the corals. Although, I did notice one of the female swallowtails nipping on my open brain the other day. I have a XL Acclimate fish trap if you need to borrow it.
Thanks! (borrowed a trap from another member already! wish me luck!)

It's quite possible to prevent the angels from nipping at corals if they're fed well enough. However, if they're simply bored, not sure if you could really change that besides evicting your angel(s).

Like your vid. I have a 50lb sack of food grade D.E. and would like to learn more about using it with my set up. Will you be at the Swap 3.14.15?

Last edited:
Like your vid. I have a 50lb sack of food grade D.E. and would like to learn more about using it with my set up. Will you be at the Swap 3.13.15?

Hey Joel,

I would use the saltwater DE. I actually bought the food grade (fresh water) DE as a dietary supplement. It reportedly helps lower cholesterol, natural cleanser, etc. Unfortunately meetings are tough to attend these days since my kids sporting events are usually on Saturdays or I'm working those days. Feel free to swing on by if you want to checkout the Diatom Filter in action or have any questions.

Hey Joel,

I would use the saltwater DE. I actually bought the food grade (fresh water) DE as a dietary supplement. It reportedly helps lower cholesterol, natural cleanser, etc. Unfortunately meetings are tough to attend these days since my kids sporting events are usually on Saturdays or I'm working those days. Feel free to swing on by if you want to checkout the Diatom Filter in action or have any questions.

Okay: Will PM you sometime soon. Thank you :0)

Jim - nice video! So weird - 30+ years ago when I had a fresh water 50 gallon tank, I had that same diatom filter I used once a week or so and it kept my tank so clear - never realized it was also used for SW - should have kept it - looks exactly the same!! Thanks for sharing...

Jim - nice video! So weird - 30+ years ago when I had a fresh water 50 gallon tank, I had that same diatom filter I used once a week or so and it kept my tank so clear - never realized it was also used for SW - should have kept it - looks exactly the same!! Thanks for sharing...

Glad you liked the video Geneva. The DF is great to have around.

Back