High Tide Aquatics

glass-holes.com Complete Kit Overflow & Bulkheads Yeah or Nay?

From what I've seen online it seems like a good deal. I know people here have used the glass drills, but haven't seen any feedback on the plumbing.

Yeah or Nay?

-Gregory

I've been happy with my glass-holes overflow kit. I give it a yay! Make sure you get one that's sized correctly so you have a washer on both the inside & outside of the tank, otherwise it's hello salt creep.

yeah, I meant gasket, not washer. It comes with 2 and my mistake was the glass of my new tank was too thick for both gaskets, so I only had 1 and have had lots of salt creep since. so it's not the fault of the products. If you get the correct size overflow and follow directions you'll be fine. The guy who sells them can give you good info on sizing if you have any questions.

CookieJar said:
yeah, I meant gasket, not washer. It comes with 2 and my mistake was the glass of my new tank was too thick for both gaskets, so I only had 1 and have had lots of salt creep since. so it's not the fault of the products. If you get the correct size overflow and follow directions you'll be fine. The guy who sells them can give you good info on sizing if you have any questions.

With a normal bulkhead (not their kit)
I highly advise against using (2) gaskets. With time they compress. More material to compress means once it settles in over time it will be that much looser.

I suggest a fine dab of silicone sealant between the gasket and the bulkhead. Be very careful not to over tighten as you will slip the gasket out of the assembly partially creating a broken seal.

I use the "nano con dientes" (with teeth) on my 29. I like it, but as SFork says, it can be a little noise if you're running it near it's limit.

FYI, if you're looking at the nano, I run a Mag 3, but have it teed to feed my TLF 150 reactor, so it's not sending its full flow up back into the tank and it's still a little on the higher end for flow.

Not sure if Gresham meant silicone sealant or grease. I used a little silicone grease (plumbers) on the gaskets. It comes with an elbow drilled with a hole for an air tube. In restrospect, I might have considered replacing it with a T fitting. I think it might have allowed more adjustment of the air and quieted it down a little.

Also, not trying to scare you with the noise. It's not super loud, you can just hear some water running.

Sealent, not grease. Grease will not stop salt creep.

Back