Reef nutrition

Got bit by the bug, sort of...

Been working on this little thing; tank is old, picked up maybe five years ago, completely purple inside.
Vinegar soaked paper towels and a credit card took care of the purple.
I didn't know what to do with it so the little tank stayed stored doing nothing.
I went to HD and got couple panels of plywood, nice pine and started to cut...
Probably will sit in the basement for a long time until is finished.
Tank is a plexi, 3/8" 24x24x12 I've decided to add an external overflow box, maybe two drains and the return line in the same box. I have a black plexi aquarium top that I picked from Boun? waaaaaay back and I knew eventually I would have use for the 1/4" plexi.
Previous owner had it running with a 4-way closed loop so I'm going to go the similar way.
Most likely will end up selling it but will take a while for it to be completed so might as well enjoy the distraction I feel I need some times.
For the finish I picked up some Varathane brand stain, dark brown I believe is called Kona.
Now I have to pause the months long project since I have the tools somewhere else; table saw and router are at a friends house where another sort of DIY thing has been going on since September '15
The front part of the canopy will flip up, a piano hinge will do the trick.
For the lights I have a large Lumenarc or a Sundial HQI but this is the 150W, then again is just a frag tank 12" deep. Below couple 20G tanks (that no one showed interest on the pay it forward thread) will do for filtration; one (refugium/macro) will be drilled for a bulkhead and raised on a platform so it drains into the sump/skimmer/return tank. Skimmer will be brought back from the forgotten shelf; ER RS-80.

CAM00821.jpg CAM00820.jpg CAM00819.jpg CAM00818.jpg

That's a cool stand. Kona is pretty dark brown. I used it on a box I made out of Cumaru and it ended up darker than I had wanted. What species of wood did you use?

Wood is plain pine (plywood cabinet quality) trim... don't know, just spare bits of wood; nothing fancy.
I'm building a deck out of Machiche, going to ask for spare wood, small chunks for a cutting board to have at home and a small bathroom shelf.
I acquired a thickness planer for the deck and ended not using it; I been having the idea of 2x4's regular pine and redwood to make my own work bench but will take time, have to get used to operating a planer, just a new thing to learn.

It may have been a good thing you didn't end up using the planer on the machiche. It's got a varied and interlocking grain that can be prone to tear outs. It would cut through the pine with ease but it's quite common for 2x4's to be warped and bowed. You could run them through a joiner to get a straight edge.

I kind of wish to say I'm back but have to wait. At home cannot have a tank, the only place is at my brother's and seems the building will have seismic retrofitting work, has brick foundation and most likely steel beams and concrete walls will be added.
My brother still has one of those Ocean Treasures tanks so that might be a good choice to get back in.
This little frag tank set is just to keep my mind little busy, little clear.

Haha, if it helps push you back in, the 37g oceanic you so generously gave me could be yours again! :) Nothing wrong with it, but sure would give me a good excuse to get a bigger tank. Hahaha.

Back