Kessil

Great deal on Flashlight

costco one claims cree as well... although that is rapidly becoming a marketing point that teeters on being deceptive.

However the costco 2 pack (which FYI was also $5 off) is "only" 153 lumens or round abouts. I would have gotten a pack, but I recently bought one of those 9 LED ones at Fry's (old style LEDs, who cares its bright enough), for $3.

sfsuphysics said:
costco one claims cree as well... although that is rapidly becoming a marketing point that teeters on being deceptive.

However the costco 2 pack (which FYI was also $5 off) is "only" 153 lumens or round abouts. I would have gotten a pack, but I recently bought one of those 9 LED ones at Fry's (old style LEDs, who cares its bright enough), for $3.

deceptive yes, but that is the price to pay for really cheap. New Olds stock ;)

The old P2s are about 1/2 the lumens/watt of the new R4s

I picked up the Costco pack too. Actually my wife did for me. It states "Cree" on it and is a single LED. I actually like my old 9 LED flashlight, it doesn't have that "focused spot" that you get with single bulbs.

One thing to note about the Costco one is that it is "tactical" meaning it has sharp cut-outs on the front, meaning you can't let your kids play with it. (But then that's what the $3 9-LED flashlights are for, even if their contacts suck and you have to shake them to make them work sometimes!). I think "tactical" means you can hold it in your hand and bash someone with the front and cause some "tactical" pain. You can do that with anything, but I can see this being really painful.

The Costco one has 4 settings. Click and hold for a light which turns off when you release the button, click and release once for regular light, click and release again for higher light, then click and release for flashing, then click once more to turn it off. The annoying thing is that once you turn it on (to normal) you have to click it 3 more times to turn it off and it cycles to bright then flashing before going off. This is a reason I like my trusty 9 LED light for looking at coral, finding stuff behind the couch, etc, but the "tactical" one is a good one for your car or backpack/purse whatever.... or if you are on CSI and have a pistol in the other hand going from room to room yelling "Clear!" every 5 seconds .. :p

V

Heheheh Vince, I know exactly what you mean with those 9-led lights, I've found that it's an issue with the acrylic "lens" on the front, it sometimes slips up, and as a result doesn't push the whole led/circuit/battery/etc right into the spring to complete the circuit. I'm sure it can be fixed by jamming a piece of paper in the spring so it doesn't compress or something.

Oh, I should also mention that the Costco ones have a red LED that lights up the button if the batteries are very low. I assume that means if you leave it on your shelf for a long time the red light turns on to tell you to change the batteries, even if the main light is not on, a nice feature. Also it claims to be fairly shock/weather resistant, has a focusing ring (I tried it, it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference), has a lanyard, and claims that it will maintain it's light level without fading out slowly, ie, you get the level of light you selected or none at all.

I should point out that my trusty 9 LED light was once left on for a full week by accident and when I picked it up (I left it lens side down on a table) it was still on, although fairly dim...Wow, you can't do that with a bulb-based flashlight!

V

Well, I don't even know what "CREE LED" really means anyway, nor do I actually care that much. My wife bought the 2 pack for $15 or something because I offhandedly mentioned that I love flashlights for some reason. :p Really, I remember going to Burningman with a buddy who had just bought a 9 LED flashlight for like $50 and lusting after it (until he lost it somehow) Now it costs $7.50 for a nice "CREE" LED flashlight and that's cool. The cool thing for me is that the LED flashlights have long battery life compared to bulbs, plus you won't pick up the flashlight and notice the stupid bulb filliment is busted. A big old plastic flashlight is $2, not including batteries, you can get the cheapo 9 LED mass produced, faulty contact ones for $3-$4.

Sandy asked "So you love it huh? How much do you love it?" I said "Don't make me choose between you" as I stroked the flashlight and whispered sweet nothings to it. Then she said "Oh, well maybe I should return them then" so of course I chose wisely the second time. :p

V

Cree is basically the company that makes the LED and they're know for having some of the brightest leds per watt out there. where as the 9 led one most likely is some ultra cheap chinese manufactured LEDs .. but I'm with you they still work! :D

Back