Neptune Aquatics

Green Marine closing soon

Thales said:
Don't forget that the model involved small frags. They were getting over 100 from me every other month.

50 frags per month, requires a bunch of suppliers like you.

BTW the frags are decently sized.

ryanjiang said:
Thales said:

How many ORA product available let's say when a customer step into a LFS randomly?

Not sure what that has to do with the current discussion.

Most of time you have to special order a product, availability is unknown till store calls ORA.

That is because most stores don't stock ORA very often.

Many product have limitation on quantity of order.

Some have limitation, more don't.

All these look to me there is no steady supply from ORA.

Only if people don't order regularly.

All it takes is steady ordering from ORA.

ryanjiang said:
Thales said:
Don't forget that the model involved small frags. They were getting over 100 from me every other month.

50 frags per month, requires a bunch of suppliers like you.

There are a bunch of suppliers like me - and I wasn't really even trying.

BTW the frags are decently sized.

I find that troubling because it gets away from the business model, which was very different from other LFS. GM won't work IMO if it is run like any other fish store, which is what I was afraid would happen when Jim left. We don't need another small shop doing whatever they can to make their nut - that business model has shown to be doom. Most of what I think was going to make the store work was Jim's connections to people who could stock the store.

What about advertising? I don't recall ever seeing that much put in to it but I could be wrong. It's great if you tap into the forums and get business from there but with things like DBTC etc, that lessens some of the demand. Tapping into the general public, not just those on the forums seems like it could be a big factor for the business heading south... If the current owner (forgot his name) sticks with it, I'm sure there are enough people here to help make it work - Just have to get over this bump

Yeah the connection of owner is the key for the supply, which is most important for this model. But the other end is also critical still you need a huge selling volume in order to support the cost, as well as generating enough income to motivate owners/suppliers in the LONG run. For that I don't think local customers base is enough, it eventually has to penetrate to online business even international business.

ryanjiang said:
Yeah the connection of owner is the key for the supply, which is most important for this model. But the other end is also critical still you need a huge selling volume in order to support the cost, as well as generating enough income to motivate owners/suppliers in the LONG run. For that I don't think local customers base is enough, it eventually has to penetrate to online business even international business.

And right there it shows you actually have no idea what the model was :) Jim had intended all along to do online sales.

even international business.

You can NOT send CITES corals internationally with out the original CITES import documents.

In terms of advertising changes... When I was there buying coral on Friday afternoon, I saw a big sign visible from San Pablo Ave. Also, there is a new website: http://www.greenmarinecoral.com/

Beside I want to say as hobbyist everyone including me is sad to see what happening, the concept to promote captivity and preserve the nature reef is great, it also benefit to hobbyist in the way to convert the excess growth into funding which will hopefully sustain more people in this hobby.

I am just interested in discussion of the business model, if it works, it really benefit the hobbyist a lot.

99sf said:
In terms of advertising changes... When I was there buying coral on Friday afternoon, I saw a big sign visible from San Pablo Ave. Also, there is a new website: http://www.greenmarinecoral.com/

Ughhhhhh... the new website states clams and mithrax are "coral friendly fish" :(

GreshamH said:
And right there it shows you actually have no idea what the model was :) Jim had intended all along to do online sales.

Of course I am not an insider, neither did I see any info about Jim's intention. I just see this as logic entry, and it will be certainly work with $10 frag.

even international business.

You can NOT send CITES corals internationally with out the original CITES import documents.

That is for sure any international require certain registration. Like you want to import you also need certain registration right?

ryanjiang said:
GreshamH said:
That is for sure any international require certain registration. Like you want to import you also need certain registration right?

Only if your nation is a CITES member nation. I don't know of ANY LFS is the US that can really export correctly. ORA won't even ship their corals out of the states as the paperwork just isn't worth it.

ryanjiang said:
Good to know, no wonder there is no coral from Hawaii on Market.

Our country is pretty good at protecting our own eco-system, import only :)

There really is no coral worth exporting from HI to start with. But yah, we stopped HI back in the 90's IIRC. It took longer to cut off FLA though.

Our country is trying to protect other countries reefs as well, and in some situations against their will. We make horrible world police, simply horrible.

GreshamH said:
99sf said:

Ughhhhhh... the new website states clams and mithrax are "coral friendly fish" :(

The website categories do need to be broken down further between fish & invertebrates & separately labeled.
I was happy to see healthy, captive-bred emerald crabs, mandarins, and peppermint shrimp in the store's tanks, in addition to the more common captive-raised reef animals.

Wonder why I can't find anyone else selling these captive-bred mithrax crabs? No one online, no mention in a Google search.

Emailing them now!

GreshamH said:
Our country is trying to protect other countries reefs as well, and in some situations against their will. We make horrible world police, simply horrible.

Maybe we’d be more successful and have a bit more “street cred” if we really were being altruistic and didn’t always seem to have ulterior motives………cough oil cough

-Gregory

Or maybe the mission is pretty miss guided, which it is. Coral Reef Task Force, read up on it.

GreshamH said:
Or maybe the mission is pretty miss guided, which it is. Coral Reef Task Force, read up on it.

I was talking in policing generalities...not specifics, however, good to see there is something concrete to peruse. I’ve always wanted to know some of this stuff and I have the time tonight…..
-Gregory

GreshamH said:
Wonder why I can't find anyone else selling these captive-bred mithrax crabs? No one online, no mention in a Google search.

Emailing them now!

Just spoke with ORA. They do not produce, nor have they ever, mithrax crabs :(

GreshamH said:

Emailing them now!

I assumed the mithrax crab was captive-bred, but perhaps it came in as a trade, like the lone yellow tang that is in one of the tanks. Would be interested in knowing what you find out about the breeding of emerald crabs. My internet search found a few postings about some hobbyists watching their crabs lay eggs, but not successfully raise any crabs.

Back