Kessil

Grumpy with Neptune Systems

So my Trident went a little whacky a few weeks ago with aberrant Cal and Mag readings, then Test B failures. I did the whole self-directed walk though, and it determined I needed to open a ticket. I had the thought to look inside the unit by pulling the reagents and drawer out. The Test B servo had a small leak and was gummed up. So last Monday I finally got an RMA number and link to put a deposit on a replacement Trident, which I did, but since then it's been crickets. I finally emailed them and asked about it, to which the reply was literally "we don't just have these lying around. We need to pull one from the floor and send it to be tested and QC'd". I get that they want to be sure I get one in working order, but does it take over a week and next to no communication? Yeah, first world problems, but I'm still grumpy about it.

So my Trident went a little whacky a few weeks ago with aberrant Cal and Mag readings, then Test B failures. I did the whole self-directed walk though, and it determined I needed to open a ticket. I had the thought to look inside the unit by pulling the reagents and drawer out. The Test B servo had a small leak and was gummed up. So last Monday I finally got an RMA number and link to put a deposit on a replacement Trident, which I did, but since then it's been crickets. I finally emailed them and asked about it, to which the reply was literally "we don't just have these lying around. We need to pull one from the floor and send it to be tested and QC'd". I get that they want to be sure I get one in working order, but does it take over a week and next to no communication? Yeah, first world problems, but I'm still grumpy about it.
I have one you can borrow

I can see why this is frustrating, but my experience with Neptune is that they have pretty great customer service overall. Of course they are also a relatively small business so they may need to be cut a bit more slack than a larger company. There’s probably literally one guy dealing with your replacement and multiple other issues at the same time.

I can see why this is frustrating, but my experience with Neptune is that they have pretty great customer service overall. Of course they are also a relatively small business so they may need to be cut a bit more slack than a larger company. There’s probably literally one guy dealing with your replacement and multiple other issues at the same time.
I totally agree- they have been really good in the past and even with a WAV failure that was out of warranty. I was mostly griping about the communication piece, they were usually good in the past, so they might just be really busy and over capacity during the pandemic.

I wonder what is the plan for the existing Tridents that will need to be sent back for the maintenance.
When the product was released Neptune mentioned a maintenance at 18 months if am not wrong.

I wonder what is the plan for the existing Tridents that will need to be sent back for the maintenance.
When the product was released Neptune mentioned a maintenance at 18 months if am not wrong.
I think their strategy is to have exchanges - they'd send a refurbished one (with a customer deposit), and then the customers would send their unit once the replacement unit is up and running. Depending on the repairs needed, they told me I could keep the refurbished one and forget about my original unit.

I think their strategy is to have exchanges - they'd send a refurbished one (with a customer deposit), and then the customers would send their unit once the replacement unit is up and running. Depending on the repairs needed, they told me I could keep the refurbished one and forget about my original unit.
If thats correct it means there is an assumption that the number of returns (that turned in to refurbished) will equal the number of units field.
Thats high returns rate, I doubt that's the original strategy.

Last edited:
If thats correct it means there is an assumption that the number of returns (that turned in to refurbished) will equal the need of units field.
Thats high returns rate, I doubt that's the original strategy.
right? or maybe Neptune reserved a pile of units as "treasury stock".

Back