Hana Phosphate Meter- opinions?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CookieJar, Dec 20, 2010.

1. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

I'm curious if anyone uses the cheap ($50) Hana Phosphate meter? I'm considering it since I'm having a bout of cyano and can't really use the color changing test kits, so the idea of a # output is very appealing to me. I read a bit on other websites but wondered if anyone in BAR has experience wit it.
    [​IMG]

2. I use it. More for a general guide line than anything. It helps me figure out when to change my GFO out. My readings are always around 11 ppb so ~ 0.033ppm on average and lower (7-9ppb) after a large w/c but i still manage to get a little cyano on occasion.

3. h20player101

h20player101 Guest

I use it weekly, no problem so far. I do test it once a month against regular kits. It is the same amount of work, just less time spent finding the right light to compare and running down your neighbors for their unbiased opinion. :)

4. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

I use it after every WC which I do weekly. It works good. Much better than matching colors.

5. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

I was thinking about getting one too and found that this one reads the low level phosphates the best.
    HI-736

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANNA-INSTRUMENTS-HI-736-CHECKER-PHOSPHOROUS-PHOTOMETER-/280538444708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415164f3a4

6. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Hmm...Time to use my 10% coupon!

7. Qwiv

Qwiv Guest

I have one if anyone wants to compare to another test kit or something.

8. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

that's the one I was looking at and am going to get. Glad to hear it works well, at least well enough for a hobbyist.

9. Thales

Thales Past President

I found I couldn't get repeatable results on the same water sample. Sometimes the range was extreme.

10. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

Was was your control? :D

11. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Classic.

12. ryanjiang

ryanjiang Guest

I like it, before that I was not able to get low enough reading. My reading from checker has been around 0.03, I have been bothered by Cayno for long time, could never beat it. lately I am trying ULNS to see if I can starve them. I started carbon source in small dosage, after two weeks it drove my reading to zero (yeah myself don't believe ,but tested 3 times all 0). Even that Cayno still regrow back in same speed like before, after I siphon them out in WC. Seems Cayno still grow even there is no PO4 in water volume, it will get PO4 from sand bed & live rocks, or feed on something else.

Don't know about how to calibrate PO4 testing, I just simply tested RO & distill water by the checker all readings came out zero.

13. Qwiv

Qwiv Guest

Did you try the new meter? with the new Reactants? I complained and got sent new product.

The first model/reactants didn't work well. People doubled the time shaking the thing and got better results as the reactants were not devolving.
    I think they are now working on liquid reactants, which I would prefer. So far, I don't think the issue is the meter, but the reactants which they can improve over time. I got consistent numbers reading the control sample.

14. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Talking out of my butt here, but I believe you can have a low reading and still have phosphates. They are just being used by stuff in your tank.

15. Thales

Thales Past President

Funny! Though it wasn't needed to see if the device yielded consistent results, I ran the water sample through our lab at work because initially I wanted to see the accuracy of the thing, consistency was an after thought. :D

I am waiting on new reagents that are supposed to be in the mail.

16. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

+1

17. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

I've gotten some mixed results. I've noticed if the vials are not clean it will throw the #'s off. Also so will a scratch or mark. I put my vials in the same way every time and it's pretty consistent.

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Pretty sure cyanbacteria doesn't need all (any?) that much PO4, unlike microalgeas & macroaglaes

19. Qwiv

Qwiv Guest

Probably depends on species, but this experiment showed that cyano can be limited by P.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14117854

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Super easy to find out for me :) I love having a Phycologist with multiple post docs at my disposal :lol: