Reef nutrition

Help! Broke my overflow.

Crap! I was screwing with the aqualifter on the overflow and snapped off the nipple on top of the overflow that excess air escapes. Is this fixable or am I hosed?

-Gregory

This happened to me when i had a cpr overflow. What i did was drill a hole where the nipple used to be large enough to fit a piece of airline tubing snuggly and sealed it with silicone around the edges. Its only a temp fix but itll buy you some time till you can find a new one.

finalphaze987 said:
This happened to me when i had a cpr overflow. What i did was drill a hole where the nipple used to be large enough to fit a piece of airline tubing snuggly and sealed it with silicone around the edges. Its only a temp fix but itll buy you some time till you can find a new one.

Good answer! Thanks!

I've not been happy with the overflow in general. It seems to need too much coddling so I’d never feel comfortable going away for a weekend or vacation. As was suggested before I think it’s time to look at drilling the tank.

-Gregory

:D It's early enough for your tank so it's probably worth the time/effort investment

GDawson said:
finalphaze987 said:

Good answer! Thanks!

I've not been happy with the overflow in general. It seems to need too much coddling so I’d never feel comfortable going away for a weekend or vacation. As was suggested before I think it’s time to look at drilling the tank.

-Gregory

Couldn't you just drill a hole that would let you use another plastic nipple and then just plastic weld it or silicone it in place. Just a thought.

nessbuilder said:
Couldn't you just drill a hole that would let you use another plastic nipple and then just plastic weld it or silicone it in place. Just a thought.

You would think it's that simple wouldn't you? When it comes to stuff like this or any DIY stuff I'm on the short bus complete with a day glo vest and helmet. Not saying I won't give it a try, it does make sense, but the thought on how to fix things just doesn't come to me. And we won't even talk about what the finished product may look like. :)

-Gregory

Well I got the overflow drilled and sealed and now it's working like a champ. True I glued my fingers together with the Super Gel stuff but it was minor and I only lost a little skin.

Coral reefer said:
I've drilled a few tanks before. Not too big an undertaking. If you want a hand I'm game

If yur up for it I'd still like to go in this direction. How are you with PVC and plumbing the sucker? PM me and let's see if we can work something out.

-Gregory

Back