Neptune Aquatics

Help-Dealing with Tank Seal Leak

I have a few questions as I research for a new setup:

1. I heard stand that has the center support beam in the back being removable, but the front is fixed. This is supposed to allow one to take the sump out. How does this work since most of the tank is so close to wall? Why don't these stand have the font center support beam removable instead?

2. What do you think to have a stand with a side door (in addition to front doors)? This will allow taking the sump out from the side, if the center support beam are in the way. Any downside (e.g. structural strength to support heavy tanks 150 gallon or more)?

3. Synergy shadow overflow's weir plate is removable. In case of extended power outage, water will drain into sump down to the bottom of the removable weir plate, instead of the bottom of the weir slots, right? That means more water end up in sump. Anybody with this overflow can comment on the height difference here? For a 5~6 foot long tank, 1" extra water is a lot for the sump to take.

Thanks!
Julius

The stand doesn’t have to have any center bracing if it’s made for it. If the front and back horizontal members are identical then it shouldn’t matter if you remove the front vertical one or the back one. They may design the back horizontal one to be stronger so that it can be removed or maybe it’s only removable when there’s no load on it. It’s hard to say without seeing the one you’re talking about.

I don’t think side doors are that uncommon. You do lose out on shear strength but again you can compensate for that in other ways if you design it into it.

I am physically able to remove my sump from my stand but I’ve never actually needed to so I’m not sure how beneficial it would actually be.

If you are buying an already made stand and plan on modifying it, you'd need to plan how to make it structurally sound but if you plan on building one then you can get rid of the center braces both, front and back plus add a side door or two.
I find, personally, very useful to be able to reach the sides and more if it's a large footprint aquarium set.

Thanks guys!

This stand will be new. I am thinking to have one side door, and build a removable box right hehind this door to mount equipment controllers. In rare case the box can be removed to slide out the sump.

Back