Reef nutrition

Help me build a safer kalk ATO.

So this is what I come up with looking for a welco for sale:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=180698467656 I'm guessing it's missing parts? Don't see a motor.

Some more searching turns up a huge array of brands and prices. Any of you guys doing this have a model # or suggestion for a pump that would be suitable yet somewhat affordable?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Parmer-Masterflex-L-S-Economy-Drive-77201-62-pump-head-/200674533023?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item2eb9225e9f

The quick release pump head is what you want. That pump head in particular is compatible to the right size tubing for what we need. Message the seller to get more info about the actual motor/controller. You want to look for one that does 5-600 rpm.

IMO a super reliable ATO and a good autofeeder are all you need to run autonomously for weeks on end.
For all - the peri delivery rate is a function of the head rpm and the tubing inner diameter. For every revolution a discrete volume is dispensed. Since the rollers crush the tube the pump has a strong push/pull ability. That's why they can lift liquid 50 feet and/or fight through a clogged dispensing tip (kalk precip).

rygh said:
I think you need a fundamental change: You cannot use Kalk as part of your ATO if you want real safety.

I don' think this makes sense at all. Real safety in regards to a reef tank is an oxymoron.

Gusty,

Do you need the peri for head? A valved down MJ, on a timer on a dual float switch works great for me and seems to be slow enough to avoid overdoses. Though I like peris, if head or distance is not your problem, the real issue is dosing rate - you just need it to be slow. I don't think peris are inherently more reliable for ATO application and I also don't think you need the fine adjustability the can provide, and that you really are just swapping one set of problems for another.

Here is some more info if you need it: http://packedhead.net/2011/p237/

BTW, my kalk over doeses have all been from user error (lack of maintenance is user error) , not from problems with the automation - I regularly leave the tank for weeks and have had no problem ever.

Good luck Gusty, I know your pain!

Rich's reactor is simple, cheap and effective.

If you can, go with larger output hosr, like 1/2", that way it won't clog :-

Thales said:
rygh said:
I think you need a fundamental change: You cannot use Kalk as part of your ATO if you want real safety.

I don' think this makes sense at all. Real safety in regards to a reef tank is an oxymoron.

Over the years, I have read a lot of horror stories on how X/Y/Z killed everything in my tank.
Of the non-newbie mistakes, Kalk overdose on an ATO sure seems to be high up on the list.

I was just passing on a fundamentally different way to dose kalk that sure seems a whole lot safer,
and because of that, could make a real overall difference in safety.
And it is hardly a new idea. Lots of people do it that way.

Thus, I have to disagree.

rygh said:
Thales said:
rygh said:

Over the years, I have read a lot of horror stories on how X/Y/Z killed everything in my tank.
Of the non-newbie mistakes, Kalk overdose on an ATO sure seems to be high up on the list.

Most of the Kalk problems that are reported by non newbies are user error, not because of a fundamental shortcoming of the system.

I was just passing on a fundamentally different way to dose kalk that sure seems a whole lot safer,
and because of that, could make a real overall difference in safety.
And it is hardly a new idea. Lots of people do it that way.

Sure, and there are many reports of people with a non kalk ATO that have killing everything disasters because of the ATO (which are really the same problems that exist with a Kalk integrated ATO). And, you have increased the complexity of the system with has its own problems. Without addressing those issues, I think your sense of security is false.

Thus, I have to disagree.
With what? That real safety in regards to a reef tank is an oxymoron? I don't see anything in your post that even addresses that idea. You never get real safety with a giant box of saltwater and combined with tons of moving parts and electricity.

Safety first.

3877.jpg

No I am in the all too familiar position of having enough in the budget to pay my bills, but not enough to buy all the toys I want. At the moment I am in a holding pattern.

I really like the idea of throwing a valve on the MJ though. I feel really stupid for not having thought to do that myself. I have a valve in a box that is all set up with hose barbs and everything, so I'm putting that together today.

Looks serious to me!

Let's talk in a couple days when I'm off work. I'm also going to be done with the 40G tank in a few days so i need to meet up anyway.

Back