Our mission

help need id on nudi

JRocha

Supporting Member
I was cleaning my sump today and found a nudi I believe that is brown with white polka dots. Very weird and beautiful. Any ideas. Gonna post a pic in a few minutes.

here it is. i have it in my sump in a tupperware.
IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

This thing is over 1 inch big, do flatworms get that big. Was in my sump and there are no corals just rocks and macro algae. Need to know cause its sitting in a container waiting to see if it lives or dies

Looks like one of the known predators of corals, but, like Rich said, there's a bagilion kinds of flatworms and plenty look the same.

BTW - telling a nudi from a flatworm is pretty easy. Nudi's have "naked gills" (the ruffles you see on their backs) and flatworms not only don;t ahve it, they're well, flat :)

Pulled one of these almost two inches long from my tank about two weeks ago. Jim and Robert both saw it. It is wild to see it move in the water under the rock I was lifting. The current had it frilled out and floating. Never saw it even looking at the tank by flashlight. It moves very quickly so could have easily missed it. Search acanthozoon.

Thales said:
I'd just put it back in the sump.

Yeah, it's a risky proposition but if it’s been in there that long and hasn't caused you any damage to date why not? It didn’t get that big overnight. OTOH if you just setup your tank and it was only a few weeks old then I’d say flush it. (I don’t recall how old your setup is…)

-Gregory

The only thing I can think of it coming in on would have been over 8 months back. The only 'change' I noticed in my tank is the astrea snails going out. They had been in over a year so age? Also with a few abalone shells newly drifting I wondered if it was feeding on the mollusks. You loosing snails too?

I left it with Robert. I think he is starting a cap prop program. :bigsmile:

Why not email Dr Leslie Harris and ask her? I can pretty much guarantee she'll know this one. If I wanted to blow a part of my day I could ID it as well as I have seen dozens of threads on that one. It's mentioned in several books as well.

Dr Leslie Harris helps out on both of those website IIRC. She has been sent a link to this thread and the picture as well.

Back