Jestersix

help need id on nudi

Gresh, you've got to stop putting "Dr" in front of my name. Next thing you know people will be asking me to look at odd rashes, want advice on warts, bring out body parts I just don't want to look at! Besides, it just ain't true. :D

Everyone who said flatworm pat yourself on the back. The color pattern matches a photograph identified as Pericelis sp so that's what reefers have been calling it. Since many species can have the same color pattern and accurate id of flatworms requires looking at internal anatomy it's hard to say if Pericelis is really the right name or not. It's been observed to eat molluscs - including giant clams - in reef tanks. The bad news is that while the body is fragile it's pretty impossible to kill one by depriving it of molluscs - it will just start eating other things. Polyclad flatworms are simultaneous hermaphrodites. Any time two of them meet it's possible that they will mate & each will produce eggs. Being thin & flexible they can hide in surprisingly narrow rock crevices so it's not odd for a reefer to have dozens of these & not know it. All in all, a fascinating animal but not something you want in your tank.

I've got this thing on my arm... can you take a look at it :lol:

Will do though :D

I can believe my tank could have dozens as they are so difficult to see by the pattern and have fluid movement over the rock as they can pour into a pin hole. Might explain the mollusk decline. Thank you Leslie.

Back