got ethical husbandry?

HELP pyramid snails killing my blackfoot trochus..and who knows what else

Any ideas on how to combat these? Form what I've read they can go after both clams and snails, however depending on the species they may only prefer clams or snails. So far, I've only seen them on the snails. When I picked up m clams i made sure to inspect them for these suckers and i didnt see them. How the hell did they manage to get in...grr

9HKAK5J.jpg

I suggest getting a wrasse. if you don't have that aggressive of fish, I suggest a Pink-Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia). I had no other fish in my tank, so I got a sixline (mean bastards). It took care of all the pyramid snails.

As for not seeing them, it happens to the best of us I'm afraid. They get caught up in the scutes, and even under the mantle.

I have had a 6line for a looong time. I guess he's either not interested in picking these suckers off, or i've been feeding them too well and he's lost his appetite for wild caught food :p

try feeding less, I have 3 algae eaters in my tank that were never touching any of my algae so I started feeding less and guess what, they devoured all the algae in my tank and started going after copepods that were at one point overpopulating the tank. Funny thing is I didn't cut out too much of the food, perhaps 20-25% less than usual did the trick.

im dealing with the same issue except is smaller proportions. the most pyramids ive seen on one of my astreas is like 3 or 4. Pyramid snails are mostly nocturnal meaning that getting a wrasse wont completely eliminate the problem even if he is ravenous as these snails can reproduce asexually and quickly and wont find a majority of them. sadly my only option is too camp out in front of my tank until i see one of my snails on the glass has a couple cling-ons and i have to manually remove the snails. Despite my best efforts i still see them occasionally.. bastards

I'm sure if you have enough of them you'll see them during the day as well :p. I guess I don't have as many as you because I noticably see more of the snails appear after lights out. Whether or not they are mostly nocturnal or not, the fact is that some of these fellas will behave nocturnally and therefore will steer clear or any diurnal predators like a wrasse. Therefore they will successfully continue to repopulate the tank. A wrasse can only help, but manual removal is a must if you want to ease the issue.

Back