Kessil

How do you measure supplements?

Chromis

Supporting Member
When you add powdered or liquid supplements (alk, kalk, etc to your dosers for example) how do you measure the amount you use?

I use a small electronic kitchen food scale and measure by the gram for both powder and liquid (zeroing first with only the plastic cup I add the supplement to). I’ve seen “spoon scales” offered by Seachem for scooping and weighing the alk powder at once. Curious what methods people use.

5df5c6e2c772228aad93cdb3f5053054.jpg

Dry ingredients MAY be an issue because if it absorbs ambient moisture from the air it certainly will be heavier. What I do is make a standard, one particular cup size (say 16oz deli container) is a particular weight when I open the stuff new then that amount of volume will be what I use as my standard ruler for dispensing that amount. Then when I make my solution I try to get close to the saturated recipe but don't have to be exact (just not over) and dosing ends up also doing freshwater top off so no big deal.

Although I will be the first to admit I never actually measured how much of a weight difference the ingredients might be and if that makes it an issue.

Back