got ethical husbandry?

How often do you feed??

If you read the RHM article that was posted, Randy found there is no real need to wash frozen food. It will thaw on its own, so no water needed to help with that. Just thaw in the refrigerator, then mix the vits in and allow to sit in the fridge a little longer.

BAYMAC said:
If you read the RHM article that was posted, Randy found there is no real need to wash frozen food. It will thaw on its own, so no water needed to help with that. Just thaw in the refrigerator, then mix the vits in and allow to sit in the fridge a little longer.

Actually, that was the one part of the article that frustrated me a bit.
He made a big assumption there on the phosphate level in the food-water.
"Let's assume that means 1 ppm phosphate, which would give a very dark blue color in many phosphate tests."
Unfortunately, I think the way these tests work, once off scale, they stay the same color.
Meaning, 1 ppm or 1000 ppm would be almost the same color.
So perhaps it is only 1%, but perhaps it is 50% or more. I don't know.

My opinion/guess: What we wash off is more small food particles than it is preservatives.
Thus it would probably have the same percentage of phosphates as the food.
And since by volume it is so low compared to the big chunks of food, it is not particularly important.

He addressed that in a private conversation. Also, read on what he states the main source for PO4 is, it takes a lot of small particles of that to actually make a decent PO4 jump. There is NO preservative used commercial aquarium feeds that is a PO4 source. Using such a thing is just silly. Only DIY hobbyists need to worry about PO4 sourced from preservatives.

I know what we wash off. I witness hundred of pounds of mysis being washed weekly. It's mainly oils and food particles.

I have my own issues with the article, but he addressed those when I emailed him.

At anytime you feel something is wrong, speak up. It's not like he's hiding.

denzil said:
BAYMAC said:
Like humans, a fat fish may be happy, but 9 out 10 its not healthy. Having said that, most hobbyists are starving their fish. Just watch the fat from things like squid, feed those sparingly.
denzjl said:
Yeah, I didn't really think a FAT fish is actually a healthy fish either... of course, I think Jim was probably just exaggerating.

Atleast somebody got that I was exaggerating. :D

gimmito said:
denzil said:
BAYMAC said:
Like humans, a fat fish may be happy, but 9 out 10 its not healthy. Having said that, most hobbyists are starving their fish. Just watch the fat from things like squid, feed those sparingly.
denzjl said:
Yeah, I didn't really think a FAT fish is actually a healthy fish either... of course, I think Jim was probably just exaggerating.

I got that, and just a FYI... in the MO industry, a "fat" fish usually is used in terms of a healthy natural girth, and not muffin tops and the like. That does not mean a voice of reason cannot be posted. Just because I got it, and he got it, does not equate to all readers getting it. I take aquatic life husbandry serious, as I do with any life I take care of. As such I like to help defend unneeded death due to ignorance. If that ruffles your feathers, read the mission statement.

BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life

BAYMAC said:
gimmito said:
denzil said:
BAYMAC said:
denzjl said:

I got that, and just a FYI... in the MO industry, a "fat" fish usually is used in terms of a healthy natural girth, and not muffin tops and the like. That does not mean a voice of reason cannot be posted. Just because I got it, and he got it, does not equate to all readers getting it. I take aquatic life husbandry serious, as I do with any life I take care of. As such I like to help defend unneeded death due to ignorance. If that ruffles your feathers, read the mission statement.

BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life

Oh brother...I would love to dignify that reponse, but I need to feed my fish. :p

Back