Neptune Aquatics

How to mount encrusting-type LPS?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Picked up some leptoseris and encrusting montis at the swap. For now, I glued them to my LR. This is fine but if I want to move or frag them it will be difficult. Options?

For the montis, try some small pieces of rock and score them with a Dremell on the bottom, that way would be easier to break them apart.
If you have plating monti "skelletons" those make great frag plug/tile/disc replacement; easy to break apart once the encrusting monti covers it. Still, scoring it with a Dremell will make for nicer break-off.

I also recommend using minimal superglue and letting the glue sit on the plug for 5 to 10 minutes before placing the frag. I've had the glue soak through the bottom of monti cap frags and kill them within a day or two. I have been successful using less glue and letting it set up a bit first. Hope your encrusting frags turn out well, best of luck!

Also, be careful with the amount of time you leave the encrusting frags out of the water. Leptoseris is especially sensitive. When it's not happy it can stay retracted several days if left out of the water for more than 5 or 10 minutes. I've been very successful propagating Jack-o-lantern and Incredible Hulk leptoseris, but it is one of the more temperamental corals to frag and keep. My leptoseris thrives in low to medium light. Remember to start your frags in low light.

Back