Our mission

How to remove the paper protective sheet off of acylic

RAZOR BLADE!!! :D

Ok in all seriousness, is this tank full of water? if not laying it so you can pour water on it and let that break down.. the adhesive that's on there gets a little brittle and funky after a while, so peeling doesn't work (as you found out)... I might use a hot wet cloth and see if you can't pull it up a bit at a time.

its not full of water. Its actually sitting on 2 4 wheel dollies. I soaked in soaping warm water and scraped with a gift card but was hoping for an easier solution. I guess if we did not have these challenges in life, life would be boring.

Hopefully by end of month i can have the tank clear of residue from the glue and the paper cover.

Thank you all for your feedback.

I've used acetone to remove really old dried adhesive. This would be where its so old that the paper kind of delaminates and leaves a thin layer on the adhesive. And the adhesive no longer has that rubbery feel.

You don't want to have it soaking for long though. The solvent affects the acrylic.

You might try some Goo Gone also.

Goo Gone works.
Slow but it works.
Put a lot on and let it sit as long as you can before it dries. Then use a 1" piece of acrylic as a scraper blade.

Mr. Ugly said:
I've used acetone to remove really old dried adhesive. This would be where its so old that the paper kind of delaminates and leaves a thin layer on the adhesive. And the adhesive no longer has that rubbery feel.

You don't want to have it soaking for long though. The solvent affects the acrylic.

You might try some Goo Gone also.

Do not do this with anything but cast :)

I take a section of the paper I have removed and use it to scrub the rest. It binds to itself better then to the acrylic.

Back