Kessil

I am ordering an anemone

And I would to know how I should tell this seller to package the anemone?
No water at all? a tbsp of water? bag full of water?
The anemone is going overnight from Iowa to SF; is a heat pad required, you think?

Based on when I see anenomes being shipped; I'd say a quarter bag full of water, oxygen, newspaper arond the sealed bag, and one head pad on top of the newpaper. All of this wrapped up in a styrofoam container.

I'm sure other people can chime in as well...

If you are buying from a hobbyist see if he can take the anemone to a local store that has oxygen and does shipping. Might cost more but could be worth it.

Very interesting thread. Sidenote - Do anemones need a significant amount of O2 over a 24 hour period? More Oxygen than is dissolved in tank water already?

I would always think more water the merrier (esp with things that slime a lot). Have the person deslime the anemone before placing it in the shipping bag. Agitate the anemone to deflate it and shake off all the slime, then put it in a large shipping bag.

I guess it depends on how big the nem is and how much you want to spend on shipping, 3-4 cups should do the trick unless it's a big ol' carpet or something huge.

No, just a small 3-4" (at most) anemone. I think 2-4 cups like Jeremy mentioned should be good.
Do you think they need heat packs?

Something you may want to think about is not having it delivered on a Friday. UPS hubs are not open on Saturdays for pick up, just say the shipment is delayed for any reason, you will not be able to get it till Monday the following week.

Check the weather in Iowa and what it will be here on when it arrives. If Iowa is hot and it is cool here, I would have the shipper put in a couple ice packs with more water in the bag with the anemone (it will help with the temp difference here). Hot weather is a bigger enemy to anemones than cold weather.

Back