Reef nutrition

I cant get my yuma to stick!

I keep gluing one of my yumas down to the rack because it fell off. But it wont glue. How do you guys keep it down so it wont float away?

I cant seem to get one of my yumas to stick down. It fell off its rock and I thought I could glue it down but it wont stay. How do you guys do it?

yeah, they can be a little tricky. It's been a while since I've grown them out, but I remember that glue doesn't always work because they can slime it off their body and detach, I think what's typically used is something over the top like a netting then you just let them stick to whatever they stick to.

Best if you can put some sands and some tiny rocks into a small container and put a net over it, it will attach itself. Using super clue would just make it worse IMO.

well obviously anything metallic.

I've heard "bridal veil", I think that's the stuff they wrap those almonds in, it's fairly open so it gets flow and light.

Typically what's done is just to have a bunch of loose rubble, and wrap them on top and then whatever they stick to, is what they stick to.

My Bull Eyes used to have the same problem, sicking to the rock. Heres how I did and it works... I use a tooth pick, pin threw the tissues and hook to the rock, but Don't pin through or near the mouth, that's where it keeps living. Wait for two weeks and carefully remove the tooth pick slowly without pulling the mushroom off. The hole will heal itself.

I found it best to stick them in a container with some holes drilled in it for flow with some rubble rock. Once it sticks down then you can move the rock to where you want it or just epoxy the rock down. The Yuma can naturally stick itself down. The netting works also works well but Tony is right as you do not want to make it get caught in the net.

I've seen people use those strawberry baskets turned upside down. I dunno if that is a good idea or not :) Not sure what they are made of..

I have tried the toothpick method and it works well if you can balance/wedge your pick into the right place. My preferred method for softies is to cut off the top of a 2-litre, make some holes in it for flow, remove the cap, and put it over the shroom wherever it needs to be. Just kinda dig it into the sand a bit... I like to stick them to shells/small rocks and then move that to the desired rockwork place.

bottle-top.jpg

(but poke some holes in it too - one of my first attempts...)

Back