Cali Kid Corals

I want to add a chia "head" to my tank

As the title states, I want to add a Chia Homer head to my future reefscape. I'm a die hard Simpsons fan and just think it would look cool. I envision it being covered with coralline algae, GSP or acting as shelter to a mandarin.

I understand the purest stance keeping plastic toys and other aquarium kitch out of the tank. Since this is actual stone/terracotta I think it would eventually be indistinguishable from other live rock in the tank. My main concern is, is "pottery" reef safe?

Has anyone done this before? Pics?

Hmmm not all terre cotta is created equal. It really depends on the cone it got fired to, and the make-up of it. Lessor grades are most likely used in a case like this. Red clay is largely iron-based silicate and aluminum compounds. So while it may be good for breeding tanks, it may not be so hot for a reef tank, and corals.

They also use nutrients that soak into the terre cotta for Chia heads.

If it were me, I'd make a mold of the head and make your own out of a better material... aragocrete would be a good choice :D

I emailed the good folks at "Chia" about what they make the pets out of. Here is their reply:

Hi Ray-

The chias are all regular terracotta planters no seal on them or chemicals. Use at your discretion our chias are only made for planting purposes.

Thanks for contacting us.

Customer Service

Joseph Enterprises, Inc.
425 California St., Ste. 300
San Francisco CA 94104
800-345-6992 x100
415-397-6992 x100

I feel a crapshoot coming on. :D

Terra cotta seems common in reef tanks. Risk should be REAL small.

Don't limit yourself to just the chia concept. You could do z's for eyes, blasto for lips, etc. It could be the next pet rock craze! ;)

Terra cotta seems common in reef tanks. Risk should be REAL small.

Don't limit yourself to just the chia concept. You could do z's for eyes, blasto for lips, etc. It could be the next pet rock craze! ;)

Very cool idea John!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back