Reef nutrition

Idea to black the back panel

Instead of magnetic cleaners, you might look into small, strong round magnets. I got an extra set (1/2 inch in diameter) from blackrockreef.com when I ordered a couple of frag racks. That company is run by a hobbyist in San Diego. There are other magnet sources listed in an old thread on this forum.

You are going to have a problem removing a back panel inside the tank because of the light trees. We use kydex inside the tanks at work, but that is mostly to make the corners of the tank vanish by having it sweep the sides and back of the tank. They can be a real drag to remove and clean - its easy to break corals.

At home I use a piece of this http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=258& , though I think it comes in longer lengths, on the back of my tank. Thin, bendable, cuttable and easy to slide in and out of place.

seminolecpa said:
I would imagine that the sheets inside the tank could be a detritus trap if they arent sealed up tight. I have black acrylic on my tank floor but it is siliconed in.
most publuc aquariums use inner removable sheets like he wants.

Edit... oops I guess i should have read all the posts. Thanks Rich :)

GreshamH said:
seminolecpa said:
I would imagine that the sheets inside the tank could be a detritus trap if they arent sealed up tight. I have black acrylic on my tank floor but it is siliconed in.

Remember a lot of planning goes into being able to remove those sheets. :D

Most importantly, our only access to those tanks is from the back - I think trying to remove that stuff from the front would be a drag.

In this case though, I think the light trees would make it a pain, unless the inner backdrop was in pieces which I think would make it look not good.

Thales said:
At home I use a piece of this http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=258& , though I think it comes in longer lengths, on the back of my tank. Thin, bendable, cuttable and easy to slide in and out of place.

Thank you Rich! You use these inside the tank right? Will give it a try

Thales said:
GreshamH said:
seminolecpa said:

Remember a lot of planning goes into being able to remove those sheets. :D

Most importantly, our only access to those tanks is from the back - I think trying to remove that stuff from the front would be a drag.

In this case though, I think the light trees would make it a pain, unless the inner backdrop was in pieces which I think would make it look not good.

Two pieces the size will be around 20" X 20", should be able to easily slide & pull out from open of the light trees.

Not sure about the look though, I guess it will depend on how good is the cut (I am very unhandy)

Mitch if you look at the picture I posted in the first page, bars of light tree will block the panel when pulling it out for clean, this is if I use one piece panel, should be fine if I use two pieces.

I wouldnt butt up the light rack to the tank if its acrylic. Acrylic bows a bit once filled.

From what I see in the picture, there is a distance at least as big as the trim that's running around the stand between the tank and the light bars.

phishphood said:
From what I see in the picture, there is a distance at least as big as the trim that's running around the stand between the tank and the light bars.
Yes but that require quite big space on the back, cause one need to lean the panel to certain angle to pull out from the open between rock & light tree. The tank will be acropora dominant, once acros grow out, the only option is to pull out the panel straight up.

I am only plan based on my imagination, maybe I am wrong.

GreshamH said:
I wouldnt butt up the light rack to the tank if its acrylic. Acrylic bows a bit once filled.
Thanks. The tank is glass. Light tree will be attached (screw) to the stand, there will no contact (small gap) to glass back.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you wanted. I was referring to putting the acrylic outside the tank. Then you could remove the panel by sliding it out to the side.

What about making the arms of the tree that hold the light over the tank be able to swivel 90 degreaser so the background can slide straight up? Not a super engineering or diy type but I bet I could be done

Back