Reef nutrition

Introducing bristle worms?

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I have a bird wrasse and a walking batfish in my new tank - both of them would love a steady supply of fresh bristle worms. But, I don’t have any. Would it be stupid for me to intentionally introduce them? If not, who has some for me?

I wouldn’t. For me it’s a never-ending maintenance chore to keep their numbers in check. I seriously doubt you’ll be able to keep them out regardless of your plan though.

I think you can introduce them as long as you have fish that will eat them.
I haven't had any problems with them in the past 20 yrs of reefing.

I was reading about the opposite solution to having bristle worm. Where I introduce fish with an appetite to eat bristle
worm. There are no guarantees that the fishes will eat bristle worms once they have an appetite for tastier food from feeding. You essentially have to starve them to control the population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve decided that I will introduce them.

So now I need a source. Anyone trapping bristle worms that can ping me when you catch some?

I could get you as many as you want, literally hundreds, but I can’t do it in good conscience.

I also would refuse to kick you in the balls as hard as I can, even if you begged me to.

I could get you as many as you want, literally hundreds, but I can’t do it in good conscience.

I also would refuse to kick you in the balls as hard as I can, even if you begged me to.

Haha. I have them in my 55g (which has ich, so nothing moves to the new tank)
I’m fully aware of the risks involved but I have several fish that will truly enjoy them.

I firmly believe it will be a good thing - promoting natural behavior. Imagine this lovely green bird wrasse finding a bristle worm peeking out of a crevice in the rocks and using his finely tuned beak to get a tasty snack!

They will also work the sand a bit.

I know they’re not pretty, but natural behaviors, biodiversity and utility make them valuable members of my little ecosystem.

Plus. Next week is my birthday. And I want some bristle worms. So, cough them up, John. And leave my balls alone.

4beed0398cbce1b272922a38fd81dbb0.jpg

Reactions: JVU
Back